MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
Silver Cobra
Registered Member

Default 2003 Cobra Transmission

I just traded in my 01 GT for a 03 Cobra. Performance and handling are not even in the same class as my old GT. However I have noticed a vibrating, rattling and grinding transmission noise. Sounds like it coming from the shifter or below. It occurs in 1st and 2nd gear, usually below 2,000 rpm's, but not in reverse. The transmission is also very loud and clunky when shifting. Even at idle with the clutch in and in neutral, no noise, but when I shift into 1st I hear a slight rattle that gets worse as soon as I take off. I know this is a different clutch and transmission than my 01GT, however the noise is pretty noticeable and annoying. I have read some posts suggesting that after installing an aftermarket shifter transmission noise was more noticeable, however this is completely stock. I would like to hear from any Cobra or GT owners that may have the same problem or suggestions. I only have 250 miles on the car and I noticed it on the way home from the dealership.

Thanks

Silver Cobra
Silver Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

You've got something loose in there man. I would take it in and have them tear it down. That's where my 97 is right now. It had all the same problems as yours, but not all at the same time. They found the reverse fork to blame, and I actually broke it off the day I took it in when the car got stuck in reverse.

Just stop by and take the service manager for a spin. I'd put money on him not letting you drive the car home.

Other than that, how do you like the car?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #3
Silver Cobra
Registered Member

How Do I like the car? Other than the Transmission Problem, IT IS AMAZING !!!. When you are driving along at 30 and puch it, amazingly it does not throw you back in your seat, like my GT did, but you look down at the speedo and your doing 90. Smooth delivery of power and flat torque curve. I am also impressed that by adding a smaller blower pulley and changing the chip you can produce another 50+ hp. All the hype is placed on the motor, but I was equally impressed with the Suspension and Handling compared to my 2001 GT. Not even in the same class. Some guys supercharge their GT's and think they have a $28,000 Cobra. NO WAY !!!. Check out the specs on the COBRA's motor companred to the GT. (Block, Crank, Heads and Pistons), not to mention the suspension and resale value of a limited production vehicle. I called SVT today and they indicated my transmission problem was not a normal characteristic of the 2003 COBRA and I should schedule an appt. with the SVT dealerships service advisor. I paid for a car that I'm going to keep for 20 plus years and I'm not driving it back home until it's perfect.
Silver Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: