MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Question Rack & Pinion

I thought for sure that I saw an article in either MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords on a rack & pinion replacement. Am I going crazy, or am I just not looking in the right places? Anybody know which issue it is in by chance? Also, how hard would it be to replace one? Evidently mine is leaking and getting in pretty bad shape. Should I just replace it with a stock piece, or is there a better one to get? I would prefer to do all this myself, but I don't have a garage to do it in. Any help here would be great!

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:31 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Rack replacement is easy, just get a haynes manual for better info on how to do it, the hardest part is making sure you don't botch the alignment, after that, the tie rod ends are the next hardest part.

everything is keyed for the steering shaft so misalignment of the rack to the steering wheel is next to impossible.

Just make sure you flush the pump, cooler, and lines real good
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 01:18 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

Thanks MiracleMax. Should I be able to get this at like Autozone/Napa, or will I have to order it through Ford? Also, you know how long it should take to replace this? My 30 minute projects always seem to turn into an all day event. I swear my car hates me when I try to work on it.

Chris
Old 10-09-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
aaa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_H:
Thanks MiracleMax. Should I be able to get this at like Autozone/Napa, or will I have to order it through Ford? Also, you know how long it should take to replace this? My 30 minute projects always seem to turn into an all day event. I swear my car hates me when I try to work on it.

Chris
I just replaced my rack on the ground I used air tools it took about 1 and a half hours not a bad job. The hardest part was the power steering lines on the rack. 5.0 mag. had how to install a rack two issues ago.

aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:13 PM   #5
Chris_H
Registered Member

Thanx AAA. I am debating whether to just call my mechanic and see if he can do it next monday, or if I want to do this myself. Working 60+ hours a week right now, and so when I get my monday and tuesdays off, I really don't feel like fighting with the car. Can I have the car up on ramps to do this, or will it need to be jacked up with the wheels taken off it? My buddy has that issue of mine right now, so I can't look at it to see how bad it is.

Chris