MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2000, 11:10 PM   #1
fixer
Registered Member

Post 4.6 or 5.0?

i posted this in another forum also but the q still stands: 4.6 or 5.0?also is the t45 really that bad? i had a t5 that wouldn't quit. i'm thinking of getting a newer gt but i need to know if the motor is as reliable as the 5.0 and if i should boycott the t45 and go for the auto. i've been told by knowledgeable fellows out at the bondurant school that the 4.6 will run a 5.0 into the weeds in performance and reliability but they're more difficult to mod and are sensitive to heat. i've looked at the 4.6 before and it doesn't look that hard to service but yeah it looks like a gargantuan task to pull a head. but looks easier than my 5.0 to do plugs in. gimme some fedback i'd appreciate it very much.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 12:56 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

In my opinion, both the 4.6 and 5.0 are EXTREMELY reliable engines. The 4.6s peak HP comes in the higher revs while the 5.0s give you more down low stock.
If you are looking for something to heavily mod and go bracket race without breaking the bank, the 5.0 is just so much easier to work with, and much cheaper...
If you're looking for a reliable, low mileage, lightly modded, sharp looking sports car that has some get-up and go with the addition of 3.73s, go with the 4.6

Both are great engines, and both can be made to go very fast... the 4.6 is just more expensive to get it there..;-)

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 02:15 PM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Cool

I agree with Hammer 100%. I now have a 99GT after my 95GT was totaled by some lady earlier this year. I miss the low end grunt of the 5.0 but the 4.6 (260hp for 1999) is smoother and quicker. But bolt-ons for the 4.6 are much more expensive. I wouldn't buy a 96-98 4.6 unless it was a Cobra.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 04:26 PM   #4
YELLOW89'
Registered Member

Can the 5.0 low end grunt be obtained on a 4.6 with the addition of gears, etc? That seems like it would help alot on those cars.
YELLOW89' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 04:26 PM   #5
YELLOW89'
Registered Member

Can the 5.0 low end grunt be obtained on a 4.6 with the addition of gears, etc? That seems like it would help alot on those cars.
YELLOW89' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 08:12 PM   #6
EXAM1999
Registered Member

The solution is a roots blower. The Saleen blower on the 99 S281 makes 410 ft lbs at 3,000 rpms and the SVO blower(when available) should be the same or better. Imagine a Roots, X-pipe, Pro-M, cat-back, traction and practice, Damn. I was told by Saleen with my mods(converter more specifically)I would never get my car off the line because the converter would drop me right in the torque. Sounds like fun to me.

------------------
EXAM1999
99 Mustang GT
4R70W, Borla Cat-Back, Pro-M77, PI 2800 stall Lock up T/C, cooler & Transgo Shift kit, Synthetics in rear & Type F in trans.
Bassani X-Pipe <--Done
Vortech V2 SQ is next

EXAM1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2000, 12:21 PM   #7
fixer
Registered Member

ok second question does the intake have coolant flowing through it? and is the block cast iron? i was told that the block is aluminum.
Old 01-06-2000, 12:26 PM   #8
fixer
Registered Member

thanks i was also wondering if the block was cast iron and if the intake had coolant in it. i figured that the 4.6 was a good motor the guys out at the bondurant school say that the 4.6 runs 5.0's into the weeds as far as reliability but are atrociously expensive to fix or replace.
Old 01-06-2000, 01:49 PM   #9
KFU_Tavon
Registered Member

I totally agree with Hammer. As far as blocks go, the GT block is cast iron. The Cobra's is aluminum. Also, the intake does have coolant flowing through it. I found that out the hard way when mine cracked while racing another GT. Not to worry though. Ford has a recall on it. Apparently the intake was cast with sidewalls that were too thin. The recall was only for 96-97's, so anything 98 or above will be ok. As far as expense, the 4.6 will be much more if something ever breaks internally, but as for mods it is not that much higher than the 5.0. Hope this helps.

KFU_Tavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2000, 11:19 AM   #10
fixer
Registered Member

THANKS FELLOW MOD-HATTERS. i guess i'll give the new gt's a shot. but i'm still hung up on the trans: which one is more durable: auto or man?
Old 01-10-2000, 11:39 PM   #11
4cammer
Registered Member

I had a 1988 5.0 LX hatch for eight years and put 136,000 miles on it. With NO internal engine mods it would run 13.5s all day on radials, and was deadbolt reliable.

Last Spring I sold it and bought a '96 Cobra with 20K miles on it - flawless. It is absolutely ten times the car my LX was. It goes (and goes **** fast). It stops (and it stops **** quick), and it handles like a slot car, heavy or not. I have not had one second of buyer's remorse. My old car was the best car I've ever owned so far, but I don't miss it.

The T-45. It sucks. But when it blows it'll be a good reason to throw a T-56 in it. Once I get another job and make enough money to buy one, of course!

------------------
'96 Cobra - K&N, Pro-M 77, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73s, Cobra "R"s, Steeda control arms, pulleys, springs and caster/camber plates.
4cammer is offline   Reply With Quote