MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
etnovass
Registered Member

Default 4.6 help (were to start)

I just bought a 01 mustang, and im not sure where to start modifying it. it has an h pipe and that is it. do I need a programmer what gears work best with 5 speed. I want to build up to a super charger. are under drive pulley worth it. I have so many questions and no idea were to start any help will be appreciated
etnovass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: 4.6 help (were to start)

3.73's if you are planning on a supercharger. Also underdrive pullies are worth it if you stay naturally aspirated but you'll have to take them off(or atleast the crank pulley) if you buy a supercharger. The down side to forced induction with these 2v motors is the bottom end is pretty weak, much over 400hp to the wheels and it's a time bomb, some have gone past that, some haven't. But FI kicks ass.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Forgot to add that you can also check the FAQ at the top of this forum it contains some good info, and may answer some of your other questions.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

If I was starting off with a pretty much unmolested GT and was looking to get blown in the relative near future, I would invest in a set of heads, cam, maybe a P-51 or Riechard intake, Mass Air Meter(80mm or bigger) long tubes, and a good flowing muffler. Gears---everybody is different. I run 4.10's in mine as a daily driver and still see 22-23mpg. Granted I drive like grandpa to get that around town.

You will deffinately need a good tune, especially if you get half of the stuff I just mentioned. Good thing now days is that you can reflash your chip/ computer as many times as needed, and while on the dyno. (Not sure what your level of experiance is with tuning) Anyway, you are certainly on the right track with this car. If you need any advice, or want to order something feel free to give myself or any other reputable shop a call.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
etnovass
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. I don’t want more than 400 to the wheels. It is a car that I might want to drive somewhere and i want it to be reliable. But I would like a solid 12 sec car. I don’t know anything about tuning a fi car so I need to find a good place around Oklahoma City how hard is it to get the 12s with a 4.6
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

For 400 rwhp you just need a base blower kit and basic intake and exhaust bolt-ons and a tune.
Bang for the buck I had the best luck with longtubes, h-pipe, upper plenum, gears, and lightened flywheel. I was getting very low-13s on street tires with these parts. For forced induction, go with 3.73s. Otherwise, 4.10s all the way.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

How hard is it to get in the 12's.....well, with the combo I have running on MT ET radials, I'm running 13.2's. I really have nothing done with my car. Main mods are gears and exhaust. I do have a chip, but it's a very conservative tune. I still have the stock air tube. I am about to strap on a ported intake elbow, to see what she'll run with that, and wether or not it helps out any. I am trying to get my car to hold the NHRA world record for the fastest/quickest "stock" 2V Mustang. I am well on my way, but I need to run about a full second quicker. So I have my work cut out for me.

Also, you have a 500+ rwhp car be <b>VERY</b> reliable. You have many, many options to get where you want to be. Oh and a 400 horse car should be running mid to low 11's and <b>maybe</b> dip into the 10's once or twice. Not very likely, but possible.

Later.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

How hard is it to get in the 12's.....well, with the combo I have running on MT ET radials, I'm running 13.2's. I really have nothing done with my car. Main mods are gears and exhaust. I do have a chip, but it's a very conservative tune. I still have the stock air tube. I am about to strap on a ported intake elbow, to see what she'll run with that, and wether or not it helps out any. I am trying to get my car to hold the NHRA world record for the fastest/quickest "stock" 2V Mustang. I am well on my way, but I need to run about a full second quicker. So I have my work cut out for me.

Also, you have a 500+ rwhp car be VERY reliable. You have many, many options to get where you want to be. Oh and a 400 horse car should be running mid to low 11's and maybe dip into the 10's once or twice. Not very likely, but possible.

Later.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
etnovass
Registered Member

who makes a good set of heads for the 4.6 sohc and headers. i think ill start there and get them out of the way
Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
etnovass
Registered Member

doed any one make a good head cam package
Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Well, yes there are plenty of head/cam packages out there. I can get a set of stage 2 ported heads with stage 2 cams for just under $1600 with no core charge. You get to keep your facory heads. However, another thing to think about is that you can swap out your timing cover, intake, and heads, and just get yourself a 4V set up and have a big jump start on everyone else. Very good way to go. Now, that route will cost more up front, because you will be buying heads, intake, timing cover, timing chains and the like, but you can also get stage 2 cams on that and bump you popwer output well north of 300 to the ground. Not bad for just a bolt on.

With the 2V heads and cam upgrade, you would be looking at about 270-290hp to the ground, with a good tune. It's all about what you want and what direction you want to go in.

I think I may be dropping in a Mach 1 engine over the weekend, if I can't get it sold. If so.....everybody needs to watch out...this could be dangerous. I'll be more than happy to help you out in anyway that I can. Just give me a call and we can talk about what you want from your car and which direction to move in. Hope to have helped.

Later.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Oh...can someone delete that double post up there? Thanks...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
etnovass
Registered Member

who do i ask for when i call
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
ivy95gts
5.7 < 5.0... and I failed math

Don't mean to answer for him, but you can ask for John... that's him.. of course. And though I'm late on the post, I figure I'll at least pop in long enough to second all that I've heard. Them 4.6's respond REAL well to 4.10 gears... and although I waited quite awhile before installing a gear in mine, when I did I found out real quick that it should have been my starting point. John had had his 4.10 installed and I was doing all I could to keep up with him before I had my 3.73, and my car had a mod or two at the time to his STOCK 4.6 with a gear. And as far as the underdrives go on the 4.6's, I not overwhelmingly sure... I know on my car I felt a good gain from them, but it's a 5.0... totally different beast. Ah well, enough gibberish from me.. have fun with the new car, but be warned... tempermental little bastards they are LoL
95' Mustang GT-S: Mac headers, off-road H, and cat back, 3.73, Mac fenderwell cold air, throttle body spacer, Mac under-drive pulleys, crane cam .530/.530,Professional products intake, 70mm TB, Tremec TKO500, Hurst short throw, UPR handle, Ford racing strut tower brace, Mickey Thompson ET's, broken stock axles
Best ET: 8.53 @ 81 MPH

Sponsored by Modular Madness
Mooresville, N.C
(704) 660-3464
ivy95gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #15
etnovass
Registered Member

thank for all the info it makes it alot easier to get started. im thinking about doing the 4 valve head swap on the my 2 valve 4.6 is there any where i can get some in info on that

thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #16
ivy95gts
5.7 < 5.0... and I failed math

Actually quite easily... Call Modular Madness @ (704) 660-3464, ask for John... He'll be able to give you all the onformation you need. That'll definetely be a fun place to start, and probably a good idea to get it out of the way nice and early.
95' Mustang GT-S: Mac headers, off-road H, and cat back, 3.73, Mac fenderwell cold air, throttle body spacer, Mac under-drive pulleys, crane cam .530/.530,Professional products intake, 70mm TB, Tremec TKO500, Hurst short throw, UPR handle, Ford racing strut tower brace, Mickey Thompson ET's, broken stock axles
Best ET: 8.53 @ 81 MPH

Sponsored by Modular Madness
Mooresville, N.C
(704) 660-3464
ivy95gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Yeah, that 4V swap is a very good idea. I really want to swap one in mine....but reality is that I just don't need it. I would be best served with going the route I had intended. Fastest factory 2V in the country. I want to hold the NHRA, NMRA, etc, Record for factory 2V ET and MPH. I just have to gather all the info required and see what rules can be bent, and which ones are cast is stone.

Anyway, getting back to the 4V thing. It's a fairly easy swap to accomplish with the 99 and up cars. There have been several people to attempt this swap themselves and give up in frustration simply because they didn't get a chip with a custom tune on it. Or some other minor detail the forgot. I have an engine sitting here in the shop that needs a home, and I really don't want to see it just sit. It's a waste of a great engine. If anyone is interested, feel free to give me a call or check the classified section on here. Later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: