MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-11-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default suspension upgrades

I am wondering what your recommendations are for upgrages. I was thinking of going with the eibach prokit lowering or perhaps the bbk lowering springs. For rear i was thinking of going with koni yellows for the shox. I am not sure where to get the smaller wheel hop shox for the back..any thoughts? The front struts i was thinking of going with either the edelbrock struts. I would go with the koni yellows up there too but the edelbrock ones got great reviews....so i might as well save a few bucks.

My worrys with the lowering springs is that i will be hitting alot. My mac offroad x hangs a bit lower than my stock h pipe. Not much but it might get a bit too low if lowered.

my car is a 91 lx coupe with stock springs and shox right now.

any feed back? Thanks guys
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
scale
Registered Member

any thoughts? I am about ready to order my bbk lowering springs? Does anyone run these springs? What do you think for a daily driver / hobby car?
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #3
Conman
Registered Member

I just got a set of BBK lowering springs for cheap but don't have them on the car yet. I think this weekend I will install them. If you want to hold off for a couple days I can give you my personal review once I install them.
if you are chomping at the bit then go ahead and good luck.
The only reason I bought the BBK's is because I got them cheap. If I was buying new I probably would have gone with something else but who knows, these springs may turn out great.

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 PM   #4
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

I can't help with this but maybe you guys can help me. I was thinking about putting lowering springs on my car as well but as you said scale, my h-pipe hangs a little low as well and I was worried about hitting. I was wondering if your h-pipe hung low Conman. If they do, could either one of you take a picture of how low it is and if you do lower the car, let me know if it hits alot.
If not, no problem. If you can, great.

Thanks guys.
Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:29 PM   #5
Conman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTTLT79
I can't help with this but maybe you guys can help me. I was thinking about putting lowering springs on my car as well but as you said scale, my h-pipe hangs a little low as well and I was worried about hitting. I was wondering if your h-pipe hung low Conman. If they do, could either one of you take a picture of how low it is and if you do lower the car, let me know if it hits alot.
If not, no problem. If you can, great.

Thanks guys.
Scott
My h-pipe is up there pretty good so I don't think I will have troubles with it. I don't know why so many people have troubles with their exhaust hanging low. I have a cheap-o summit 2 1/2" off road H and I am using the hangers that attach it to the tranny crossmember, I know some people cut them off cause of fit problems. mine seems fine
a friend of mine that is helping me with the install has a digital camera so if I remember I will snap some pics for you

Old 10-16-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Superpromustang
Registered Member

you guys might check to see if your h-pipe bracket is on upside down too, if it is, that will cause your exhaust to hang lower than it should, you want the tubular mounts for the hangers to be facing up, just a suggestion
Superpromustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:10 PM   #7
scale
Registered Member

Unless i misunderstood your post I doubt my hangers on on upside down?? That seem impossible given that they are welded on my X-pipe when it was manufactured. I have a MAC X.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:09 PM   #8
Conman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scale
Unless i misunderstood your post I doubt my hangers on on upside down?? That seem impossible given that they are welded on my X-pipe when it was manufactured. I have a MAC X.
the piece that he is refering to that may be upside down is not welded to the x-pipe. It is the piece that those bits that are welded to the x-pipe slide into. It is bolted to the tranny

Old 10-17-2002, 08:58 AM   #9
scale
Registered Member

hehe ok, i thought that was a bit strange. you you are talking about the rubber insert. I dont think that is on up side down. I never took it out and unbolted it from my stock hpipe when removed. ....unless the chump that had it before me had it on backwards. I am just afraid if i put on the eibach pro-kit spring that i will be hitting every pebble on the road.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #10
drudis

I did the Eibach "street" springs 450-580# variable rates. Stock is like 420-530#.

Then I went up to BBK linear 650# front springs, for more track duty type car.
Finally I went with 425# 8" coilovers, ad did the Griggs tubular front end, to match the custom t-arm/panhard rear suspension I built myself.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:57 AM   #11
scale
Registered Member

did you have any problems with them rubbing or anything? I am thinking of going with the eibach pro kit which they say lowers the front about 1.5 and the rear 1 inch. I just dont wanna scrap anything. I would like the better handling however and increased stiffness. I am also wondering if i would need to get those offset bushings for my rack. I read that somewhere as well. I dont wanna mess up my steering if i can help it. I would like to run the pro kit with a set of koni yellow shocks and struts. I dont race or go to the track much. Most of my driving is highway but i want better handling out of the car and i heard this is the way to do it.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:10 PM   #12
drudis

Those springs will get you what you want.
The shocks may be a wee bit stiff and consider pricing some Bilsteins or Tokikos and see if there is any savings...

Offset rack bushings arent always necessary, and sometimes worse! You really need to bumpsteer the car, to see if they will help (thats pretty technical, not rocket science... to do).

You may wish to look into caster/camber plates, and you might need these to get a decent alignment (and not chew the insides of your front tires).
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote