MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2000, 03:00 AM   #1
BradKropp
Registered Member

Lightbulb 4.6 SOHC Mustang GT

Hello all,

I've been working (And modifying) 5.0 liter High Output 302's in Fox-Body Stangs for quite sometime. But, I've taken a leap of faith and recently added a 1996 4.6 SOHC Mustang GT to my small motorsports club's arsenal. We're all happy that we've managed to move into the field of modular engines, but we're looking into getting some starting advice. The car is a bone stock car with an automatic transmission.
What we really want is some advice regarding the transmission. Should we take another leap of faith and make the car into some unique (unique around this area anyway)...a 4.6 SOHC Automatic Racer? Are the shift improvement kits for 4.6 automatics able to run with a 4.6 SOHC with a T-45? We're skeptical because shift improvement kits (that we've seen) in 5.0 liter's with AODE transmissions fail to compete with a 5.0 with a T-5.
And, finally...we want this car to run in the naturally aspirated class (as most of our cars) and are looking for a little advice on some good, initial modifications to the modular engine that are quick produce a horsepower jump. We're really wanting to run with this new car and get it out on the local racing scene as soon as possible.

From an old 5.0 guy looking for a little advice on the new 4.6.

------------------
Brad Kropp
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma
BradKropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 08:30 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

Hi Brad,
Thanks for taking the "leap" with us.
The modular engines are really coming into their own these days (99-00 models). Unfortunately, we (96-98 owners) were pretty much the test bed for the new engine\SN95 body combo. So we seem to have got all the little bugs that come along with it.

By and large, these are great engines with a lot of potential that are pretty darn reliable. They love to live in the high revs, as opposed to the old 5.0.

Considering your 96 has 215 hp stock, there's going to be some work to do if you want to stay N/A. (I'm going to warn you, modular motor performance parts are a bit more expensive than our 5.0 compatriots..)

I don't know too much about AODE transmissions, but a move to a 3.73 gear ratio and new stall converter might be advisable to keep you in the power band longer.

The weak points on your specific engine is the heads and intake. The intake is basically made of plastic (There's a TSB out for this), and the heads flow like crap. If you want to stay N/A, you'll have to go to the motorsport intake/heads setup. Pulleys, MAF and throttle body will help a bit too.

There are SIX cats on the stock H-pipe, so a swap down to two is advisable with an aftermarket H/X-pipe.

If you're going to be doing more than basic "bolt-on" work, I would advise changing out the hypereuretic pistons for some forged units. (I have heard of some horror stories about the stock units just "giving up")

To be honest, these engines seem to go REALLY well with a forced induction combo (blower) if the engine is prepared for it. So I would keep that option open...

Hope this helps...

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 01:09 PM   #3
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Idon't know alot about the 4.6 but if your racing it with a motor that likes to turn high rpm's wouldn't 4.10's 0r steeper be good most of them run those around here one guy with a 98 auto even runs 4.30's
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 01:45 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

The gear ratio is pretty much determined by what you're going to be using the car for.

I have found 3.73s to be perfect for daily driver street/strip use. I have seen 4.10s at the track too, but they're just a little too steep in my opinion for normal street use.

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 03:00 PM   #5
98YellowGT
Registered Member

Congrats, I hope you're gonna be happy with your 4.6

I've heard that 4.6 auto's with stall converters/shift kits can run with manuals, get pretty much the same ET's with a little lower MPH, Ithink...I heard this about blown cars though, so don't know if it would apply to NA cars.

Like Hammer said, FRPP heads/intake would help out a lot...and I *THINK* Sean Hyland Motorsports makes performance cams for the 4.6 SOHC, maybe...

------------------
1998 Yellow GT 5-speed
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17x8" Wheels
FMS 3.73's
Steeda Aluminum Pedal Covers
98YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 03:59 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

http://www.seanhylandmotorsports.com

They make and distribute all sorts of thing for the GT. Get ready. The prices are going to look insane compared to the 302.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2000, 12:45 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

The heads/intake is an absolute must for staying NA. You can get the FRPP aftermarket heads and intake or you could also get the heads and intake from a 99/00 4.6 SOHC, those will work as well. Get the heads ported and polished would be even better (99/00). Of course the no silencer/K&N combo, underdrive pullies, the stock MAF on the 4.6 SOHC is 80mm but has the little post in the center acting as a bit of an air restriction so you could get an aftermarket one without the post, aftermarket TB only after you get a different intake (stock intake is too restrictive), ram air is an option (I route mine from the passenger side fog lamp location cause I don't have fog lamps), WEIGHT REDUCTION- these SN95s are heavy!, exhaust:headers, H- or X-pipe, catback if you like (like was mentioned earlier those six cats are VERY restrictive), gears: I've heard 4.10s recommended for the automatic/3.73s for the 5-speed daily drivers (gas mileage the factor) and a steeper gear for the drag racer 4.30s auto/4.10s 5-speed this is cause the 4.6's power band is higher in the revs than the 5.0 and the car/engine weighs more than the 5.0 so it takes a steeper gear to get the car around and to get into the power band. I can't think of anything else right now. Hope this stuff helps. Good luck. These 4.6s are a bit more expensive to play with but still fun all the same. Have fun!!

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: