View Single Post
Old 07-21-2000, 08:30 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

Hi Brad,
Thanks for taking the "leap" with us.
The modular engines are really coming into their own these days (99-00 models). Unfortunately, we (96-98 owners) were pretty much the test bed for the new engine\SN95 body combo. So we seem to have got all the little bugs that come along with it.

By and large, these are great engines with a lot of potential that are pretty darn reliable. They love to live in the high revs, as opposed to the old 5.0.

Considering your 96 has 215 hp stock, there's going to be some work to do if you want to stay N/A. (I'm going to warn you, modular motor performance parts are a bit more expensive than our 5.0 compatriots..)

I don't know too much about AODE transmissions, but a move to a 3.73 gear ratio and new stall converter might be advisable to keep you in the power band longer.

The weak points on your specific engine is the heads and intake. The intake is basically made of plastic (There's a TSB out for this), and the heads flow like crap. If you want to stay N/A, you'll have to go to the motorsport intake/heads setup. Pulleys, MAF and throttle body will help a bit too.

There are SIX cats on the stock H-pipe, so a swap down to two is advisable with an aftermarket H/X-pipe.

If you're going to be doing more than basic "bolt-on" work, I would advise changing out the hypereuretic pistons for some forged units. (I have heard of some horror stories about the stock units just "giving up")

To be honest, these engines seem to go REALLY well with a forced induction combo (blower) if the engine is prepared for it. So I would keep that option open...

Hope this helps...

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote