MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
Schnell
Registered Member

Question 4.6L intake leak

Howdy,

Looking for a little help for a 98 4.6L with an apparent leak of coolant coming from on the top left side of the intake manifold right beside the temp gauge plug. It is a pin hole or hairline crack. Question #1 Can it be repaired? Question #2 If I have to get a replacement, what options do I have?

Very respectfully,
Schnell
Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

I know the intakes had problems on 96-97 stangs and Ford replaced them "FREE" not sure if that would go for the 98's. You could check with ford and see. depending on where the leak is and the size you could fix it but much better to get a new intake. Check e-bay, and MPS.com or simular used stang part dealers. If all else fails buy a new intake from ford. Not sure what a new one costs.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Call Ford and see if they will replace it for you for free. They should, since there was a service bulletin about it.

If not, there is the stock, the bullit intake, the SVO intatke, or Reichart Racing makes one.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I thought they weren't doing the replacements on the 98 intakes, despite it being the same intake

Hammer will know, because his intake blew on his 98, but I don't think it was covered.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Schnell
Registered Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the answers to my ?. I am not very adept at using the computer so I really appreciate being able to receive ya'lls experienced advice. I bought the 98 used, all factory stock, in great clean condition. I will check on Ford's replacement policy (thanks). Or maybe its time to start building on the 4.6L, starting with the intake! Again, I ain't to good at this internet stuff but I'll post any progress. And I'm looking forward to working on my Mustang and being part of a great group of American Car owners.
Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:38 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

98's are not covered by the TSB...

My recommendation?
Roots blower\intake combo...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
gt96
Registered Member

yes a common problem i had the same crack it gets worse! i did fix it by patching it not a good idea its just going to heat up and spread i shot coolant through my engine when it finnaly gave way and rusted inside my engine! you can buy a new intake manifold for it there are a couple but unfortunately with 96-98 you will spend lots of money on it about 1,400$ plus you have to buy a chip $400 ya? but its worth it if you plan on s\c it or nitrous cause it will shatter your stock one on your 98 no matter what they say about it being able to take it i learned from experience! but the best one for your 98 is a ford racing aluminum manifold. but yes its very pricey!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I am going through the same thing. I have the older intake but since my car is a '98 and not on their "Oasis" list, Ford told me "So sorry"... Fortunately, someone from this board had an extra one so he gave it to me for the price of shipping. It's the older type but it will hold me over for awhile.

GEFRacing (I think) has them (with the aluminum runner) for $100 right now. Or typically they are around $200.

I am replacing it this weekend because I just got the other intake... hopefully I haven't done any real damage to my car. Once I started smelling the coolant I reduced my style of driving down to almost never going above 2000 rpm.

GT96... you said you got coolant in your engine and it rusted? Can you expand on that? What happened? Did you have serious problems as a result. Like I said, I've been driving mine but the smell is strong eventhough you can't see coolant on the engine (I did once but cleaned it up, it was a small amount and haven't seen it since.)
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 PM   #9
gt96
Registered Member

the rust they said was in my valves and a little around my pistons? but they said it was fine as long as it was oiled properly. it wasnt a lot but they could see some rust but i also blew it all the way! and had 2 drive it 10 minutes to get to a shop so..... i am at fault but if it did get into your motor mast will evaporate from heat but if you see it make it all the way out your exhuast fix the problem right and make sure it didnt do damage!
Old 05-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #10
ajcolv
Registered Member

Most people have said that the intake has exploded. Is that always the case? I have been having a leak for a few weeks, and haven't been able to tell what it was. I started smelling coolant and I was losing coolant dramatically, but the puddle I was getting under my car didn't look like coolant at all. Do you think it's my intake?

"Lita"
97 Mustang GT Vert
--------------------------------------
k&n, air silencer removed, Magnapack cat-back, BBK o/r h-pipe, Ford red front calipers

ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote