MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-01-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
Rownd
Registered Member

Default 5.0 to 4.6 swap

I am planning on purchasing a 4.6 DOHC and tranny out of a Mark VIII and putting it into a 91 4cyl mustang. I was hoping there was someone with some experience with this that could give me some pointers. I was originally going to use a 5.0 I have but decided to sell it and get the 4.6. Any help would be great.
Rownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 07:39 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Is it out the standard Mark VIII or the LSC version? The standard motor is 280hp and the LSC is 290hp and both you really have to wind the crap out of the motor to get it. 290 lb./ft. of torque. Plus is that tranny going to fit/be able to mount under there?? I doubt it but it might. You'd probably have to fabricate some kind of trans mount if it even fits. I don't know for sure. Let alone shifter placement. Plus that engine is very wide. It's actually larger in size, not cubic inches but sheer size, than the 5.0. More like stuffing in a 351W.

IMO, Personally I'd go with the 5.0 with a 5 speed. There's SO much more you can do with the 5.0 to make it faster. The aftermarket is much larger. There's not much you'll be able to do with that 4.6 DOHC except maybe a Cobra intake, underdrive pullies and a supercharger. And that'll be alot more expensive than the parts for a 5.0. You'll also need ALL the wiring and sensors from that Lincoln for your 91. What about even getting motor mounts? Probably have to fabricate something, too. I think you'll be dumping alot more money into your car to do the 4.6 conversion over the 5.0. If nothing else you could do a 351W. There's going to be alot of hassle with the 4.6 but if you are willing to do alot and spend the money then go for it. To each his own.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:24 AM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Griggs Racing makes a K-member for swapping a 4.6 into a Fox.

http://www.griggsracing.com/

But you will still need to replace/rewire the ECU and all that. Its not impossible, but deffently a real PITA.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:53 PM   #4
Rownd
Registered Member

Smile additional

I have gotten the Lincoln Mark VIII and I have all of the engine companiets including the AODE transmission, the electronics, guages, air conditioning, in short I have the whole car and I got it for only $800. I will be able to sell the rest of the car sucha s interior pieces for parts and make my $800 back. I will be swapping in a front end from a mustang that originally had a 4.6 in it and as far as clearance everything looks as if it is going to fit. The 91 Mustang convertable that I am putting it in I purchased for $900 and is complete. Being that the motor puts out 280 hp which is quite a bit more than a stock 302 I feel that the 4.6 will really wake up the old fox body. With a vortech on it and a few more very simple mods purcahsed at hte roght proce i think low 11s will be possible. I was hoping that there was maybe someone else out there that had already done this and could tell me how they like the combo. Thanks for the input keep the ideas coming.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Hey, what year is the MK8?...just curious because if its a 93, and you have the driveshaft, I could be interested.

With a good exhaust system, proper fuel system, larger MAF, torque converter, and good tune (chip or dyno tune,) that combo should lay down over 300 rwhp. Swap on a Cobra intake then add a power adder, and it'll be one hell of a combo. But I am sure you know this already and thats why you want to take that route, lol.
I have seen a few foxes at the track with DOHC's, so hopefully you can find some good info on the swap. Good luck.

96GTS - the LSC was rated at 10hp more because it had dual exhaust, where the normal MK8's had a 2-1-2 setup that didn't breath well at higher rpms.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
Rownd
Registered Member

Default drive shaft

I don't have the drive shaft anymore but I have a good friend that deals with the MK8 alot and I am shure he has a good bit of driveshafts from these cars at his shop. If you want I could check it out for you and see how much he would want for it. Let me know exactly what you need and I will see if he has it.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:06 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Does the mark VIII use a vacum or hydrolic master cylinder? That might be another item you'll have to yoink or find somewhere.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote