MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2001, 10:36 PM   #1
andrewgarland
Registered Member

Red face 5.0 vs 4.6?

OK... This will decide it... I'm posting this in Windsor Power and Modular Madness. What is the real difference between the 5.0 and the 4.6? Besides the obvious size... I'm sure we'll get a heated discussion here. I invite you all to check out both the Windsor, and Modular topics, to post your responses... Thanks!
andrewgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 10:49 PM   #2
mustang145
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewgarland:
OK... This will decide it... I'm posting this in Windsor Power and Modular Madness. What is the real difference between the 5.0 and the 4.6? Besides the obvious size... I'm sure we'll get a heated discussion here. I invite you all to check out both the Windsor, and Modular topics, to post your responses... Thanks!
WELL THE ONLY THING IS HP THE 4.6 IS SMALLER/LIGHTER BUT THE STROKE MAKES MORE HP THEN THE 5.0 THATS THE DIFFERENCE.......
mustang145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:02 PM   #3
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Not really any room for a heated argument on this topic. Can't really argue mechanics of an engine. Fact is fact. Maybe if you are talking modding and availability of parts, but that's all.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 03:04 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

The 4.6 is a heavier engine. It is not lighter than the 5.0. That's part of the reason the SN95 is heavier than the Fox body. It's just smaller cubic inch/stroke wise. You can also really tell the difference between the two engines' physical size just by looking at them. The 4.6 even looks larger. Much wider.
I've had the 5.0 and I currently have the 4.6. Personally, I like the 5.0 better. Much more and cheaper priced aftermarket parts and is much easier to make faster than the 4.6. The 5.0 is sooooo much easier to work on yourself. Everything about the 4.6 is expensive. Power wise, the 5.0 has more torque down low, but the 4.6 can rev higher. Basically the 4.6 has a higher power band than the 5.0 so it takes it a bit longer to get going than the 5.0. Of course this is talking about the 96-98 4.6. The new ones work the same, they just have alot more power.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 06:44 PM   #5
S Howard
Registered Member

Depends on what years we are discussing. The early 4.6L 96-98 are what I term the experimental years=low hp. However, since 99 and especially with the 01 4.6L the HP has increased. Granted the 94/95 5.0L are rated at 215hp, the parts are cheaper than their 4.6L counterparts.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote