MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
Vision
Registered Member

Question 4.6l

Hey guys!

Thanks to everyone who has been answering my questions, but I have yet another. Actually, it's more of a rumor I wonder about.

I hear conflicting reports about the upgradability of the 4.6L. Some people tell me it's an untapped resource and the engine with the stock bottem end, while others say with the '03 Cobra, it will be pushed almost to the max.

Which is correct? I'm thinking of getting one, but just like any car, you get too accustomed to the horsepower and want more. Could I put 450 hp to the wheels (not the crank) consistantly on pump gas with the 4.6L, neglecting Nitrous, too? I really don't want to get a new car and upgrade the valves, pistons, rods, head, etc.

Thanks,

Vision
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

This is really much better posted in Modular Madness. I don't know enough about the reliability factors to truely advise you. If I'm correct, the DOHC's have pretty weak rods.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Hammers Yellow Jacket (98 GT) has around 450HP at the flywheel. He has stock internals, SVO Intake and SVO heads and a Procharger. The problem he has (and anyone else with that much power) is with the rest of the drive train. The transmission can't take that much power and will fail eventually. I imagine the DOHC cars are even better. The DOHC Cobra has forged steel crank. Not sure on the pistons or Connecting Rods though.

Unit is right, post this in Modular Madness.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:27 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I would give Sean Hyland Motorsports a call. They seem to push the envelope the furthest with 4.6L power. They build a ton of race motors and beefed up 4.6's for exotic cars that use them.

Sean Hyland Motorsport
691 Jack Ross Ave
Woodstock, ON N4V 1B7
PH. (519)421-2291
FAX (519)421-0991

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/index.html
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 09:34 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The '03 Cobra will be an untapped resource.
That motor will have SO MUCH untapped potential. There are several Lightnings running 11's with only bolt on's, and thats with 2V heads and weighing 4600+lbs. I expect to see some Cobra's running 10's with out opening the engine up. Put on a drag suspension, exhaust, gears, chip, and up the boost and that should do it IMO.
*Cast Iron block instead of aluminum to handle the power
*new aluminum heads that flow better on the exhaust side (exactly what SC engines need)
*carryover forged-steel crankshaft, which is fitted with new Manley forged "H-beam" connecting rods (the rods were the only "weak" point in the Lightning engines. Weak point I mean that they start to give out at over 500 HP. Apparently SVT is going to make sure this isn't a problem, although its something they didn't have to do.) Forged pistons similar to those in the SVT F-150 Lightning (8.5:1 cr,) and an aluminum flywheel similar to the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R’s.

So this thing has a fully built shortblock. It should handle 18+ lbs EASY, but I can see 20+ a possiblity. Power production will only be limited by the Eaton's efficiency. So expect Kenne Bell to step up with an aftermarket blower to pump 18 lbs into that engine.

So, my take on it is, YES, you should be able to hit 450RWHP if you buy a '03 Cobra. That's if the Eaton is up to it. A number of lightnings are putting down between 400-450 rwhp with bolt on's, and thats through the auto and big 9.75" rear. So take it how you want it.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Default Re: 4.6l

Quote:
Originally posted by Vision
Hey guys!

Thanks to everyone who has been answering my questions, but I have yet another. Actually, it's more of a rumor I wonder about.

I hear conflicting reports about the upgradability of the 4.6L. Some people tell me it's an untapped resource and the engine with the stock bottem end, while others say with the '03 Cobra, it will be pushed almost to the max.

Which is correct? I'm thinking of getting one, but just like any car, you get too accustomed to the horsepower and want more. Could I put 450 hp to the wheels (not the crank) consistantly on pump gas with the 4.6L, neglecting Nitrous, too? I really don't want to get a new car and upgrade the valves, pistons, rods, head, etc.

Thanks,

Vision
The key to making the car live is plenty of fuel, tune and/or engine management system. I went 10s on the bone stock longblock 2V so that should tell you how strong they are with the right setup. Most people blow them apart because they don't treat the other areas I mentioned seriously. I put in an aeromotive fuel system with 66 lb injectors and Accel DFI Gen VI. The car was tuned on the street and runs 11.70s-11.80s exactly how it sits on pump gas and Nitto D/Rs. I have been driving it like this this since October. You can make 450 rwhp safely on the stock motor if have a good fuel setup and damn good tune without too much timing.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I think the '03 Cobra's factory ratings are very modest. All you modular guys probably know that when you strap a blower on a 4V it makes crazy horsepower. I'll bet money the '03 makes a helluva lot more than 390 at the crank. Because even with stock heads and intake the Cobras can make well over 400 RWHP with modest boost. I think Ford is keeping the factory ratings down to lower the cost to insure a Cobra and to avoid '99 Cobra incident. The hot ticket when it comes to modulars is definitley forced induction, and contrary to popular belief, the modulars are very strong even with the stock shortblock. They are stronger than most of the newer 5.0's ('93-'95 weren't as strong as the older engines). The modular engine family's potential is now starting to be realized and this is only the beginning. You can find every you'll ever need to know about the modular engines here www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/modsquad.html
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:58 PM   #8
Snakeman
Registered Member

Exclamation 1200 HP

or just a bit more is what john mehovitz made last week on the dyno with an shm 4.6l cobra motor before a couple of rods went. the rods were only rated for 800 HP.