MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   90mm Lightning MAF (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=32780)

stangt00 01-02-2003 05:17 PM

90mm Lightning MAF

Looking for inputs on the 90mm Lightning MAF I keep hearing about. Are these one's people have pulled off of Junked/Salvaged Lightnings, or can you buy them somewhere? What else gets done along with it? Injectors and reprogram computer I am sure, but what about the fuel pump? Last question, where can I get this setup? I havent seen it on any Mustang websites.

The Deuce 01-02-2003 09:02 PM

Ususally people go with that MAF when they are blown. Moving that much air generally overwhelms the stock MAF, and Lightning one is a good way to get it back into range. I don't think you'll see Lightnings in the junkyard for a while, but you can get the part directly from Ford.

FWIW, by the mods in your sig, it would hurt your car.

tireburner163 01-02-2003 11:00 PM

Too big, you don't need it, will hurt your performance.

VicRattlehead 01-03-2003 03:20 AM

i dunno bout that, yea its big and unessasary but it isnt going to hurt performance. ive got a stock 90mm lmaf and im still running stock 19# injectors so no need to swap injectors if you get the lmaf. only thing you HAVE TO DO is have the eec reflashed or add a chip with the lightning maf transfer function programed in. othewise it wont run right, or at all.

tireburner163 01-03-2003 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VicRattlehead
i dunno bout that, yea its big and unessasary but it isnt going to hurt performance. ive got a stock 90mm lmaf and im still running stock 19# injectors so no need to swap injectors if you get the lmaf. only thing you HAVE TO DO is have the eec reflashed or add a chip with the lightning maf transfer function programed in. othewise it wont run right, or at all.
Yes, it does hurt performance. A 90mm MAF will add more flow....flow that isn't nessicary on a mildly modded motor. However a 90mm MAF kills velocty, which you need.

SleeperGT 01-03-2003 10:01 PM

90 mm Package

As the Duece said the 90 mm MAS is used by the blown crowd and is often offered as a package upgrade after a blower. Usually it is packaged with an Anderson PowerPipe (or like product) and a reprogram of the computer. My stock Vortech install gave me 313 rwhp and 375 rwtq (dyno tested) and was running 13.0 at the track @ 107 mph. I did the MAS upgrade, Powerpipe and new chip program (Diablo) and I went down to 12.6 at 111 mph (I don't have any dyno figures, but I guess this was worth another 30-40 rwhp) and this upgrade was very noticable on the street, car was even more responsive. However, at this point in time I am not too thrilled with this upgrade because since the upgrade I have a detonation problem. My car has been in the shop for a week and my latest update (I still don't have the car back yet), is that the chip was programmed for an 80 mm MAS and not the 90 mm which was installed, ooops!). I'm told this was causing all my detonation issues. Cars being tested as I type, so we'll see what happens when I get it back.

]\[astysta]\[g 04-13-2005 11:49 AM

Re: 90mm Lightning MAF

How do you get the 90mm LMAF to work with 42lb injectors? I'm wanting to go with a LMAF & 42lb injectors with a PMS for AFM. Will this work as is or do I need to get the MAF recal for 42lb Injectors? Thanks,