View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 12:16 PM   #10
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Belle,

It was a very well written piece. I enjoyed reading it.

I'm not cutting the article in any way here, but in order to add credibility to your arguments, you must do like Mr 5.0 suggested and cite specific sources if you were to submit this piece for publication.

Also, as far as sources go, in the scientific realm (which is where I have spent the majority of my time in education and career), sources are meticulously scrutinized. If there are any weaknesses in your presentation or your sources of information, they will find it and pick the article apart. In order for a source to be considered valid to anyone of scientific mind who happens to read the article, it must come from a peer reviewed literature of some sort. These sources typically provide the most controlled and objective studies. Journal articles can be great sources of information if the studies were done properly. And don't think they won't look up your sources. They will, and if the study is weak, not done properly, or statistically inconclusive, they will tear it apart.

Further, published book or even school textbooks are not sufficient sources of scientific data (unless they scite specific studies, in which case you need to look up the study and cite it as the source). It's funny that all you need to do in order to get a book...even a school textbook published is provide the publisher with incentive for profit. There is no peer review or standards held.

Reguardless, like I said before, good job on the article. It would be a good piece for a paper or circular of some sort. Just remember, if you want to present a really powerful argument on your case, make sure your sources are iron clad. This way your article will stand in the face of criticism and will present a scientifically sound and persuasive argument.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT