View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation More cats

Mustangbelle306:

Well, we disagree on the motivations of the EPA then. So be it.

I find them to be doing whatever they can to restrict human activity - especially automobile use - and blame humanity for anything and everything that might possibly have any environmental impact, which turns out to be just about everything, including the infamous 'cow flatulance'/methane gas 'problem' they 'found' that made them look like idiots a few years ago.

I see the EPA agenda to be that of ursurping personal freedom by imposition of regulations - which they are very good at.

Regulation is fine when it can be proven to be necessary, but not from unelected bureaucrats hiding behind titles in some EPA cubbyhole in D.C. These things should be voted on by our representatives in Congress, not simply imposed on the nation at will by a federal agency, giving us no say in the matter. More like rule by fiat than democracy and I can't defend it, as you seem able to do.

Example: Where in the constitution does it give the government the right to determine how much water my toilet bowl can hold and what the flush rate (water flow) should be? Nowhere, of course, but we now have such a federal, nationally-imposed regulation on toilets. For our own good, of course. Right.

Sure, the EPA does some good but they stay in business and get their budgets funded by always finding some enviromental 'problem' to be addressed. Constantly. Cars are a common target. Always will be, too. Everybody owns one, the automakers have billions and since no car is truly pollution-free, they can always find a 'problem' to address. It'll never end and I get tired of it. Give it a few years and you might, too.

I'm unable to share your faith in big government agencies to 'help' Americans, especially the EPA. I also do not find it necessary to apologize for being human and by being human to aid in spreading 'pollution' throughout the land every time I drive or do much of anything. That's bull.

Third world countries might pollute unnecessarily but in America, we've cleaned up a lot and this country is far better than it ever was a hundred or even fifty years ago in terms of pollution, corporate and personal.

We have no need to apologize to the EPA about 'waste' or pollution. We've addressed the problem and will continue to do so. The liberal mindset of the EPA that assumes both private citizens and corporations will pollute like maniacs without the wise men at a government agency to stop them is insulting and wrong, in my opinion.

So, we part company on the value, the motives and agenda of the EPA, Belle.

You still wrote a good essay, no need to be defensive. It's the EPA I have problems with, not catalytic converters or you.