MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2000, 02:04 PM   #1
mosibobo
Registered Member

Post 96 Cobra Exhaust Question

I have a 96 Cobra and I wanted to put a new exhaust on it. I want one that'll add some horsepower and make it louder but I have no idea what to put on. My friend knows a lot about mustangs and he said that I should probably just replace the tailpipes with flowmasters and leave the catalytic converter alone. Could someone please give me some suggestions. Thanks.
mosibobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2000, 03:00 PM   #2
T-Bone
Registered Member

I don't think the flowmasters will give you much of a power increase, if any. Just a better sound. If more horsepower is what you want, then you need to get rid of the 6 catalytic converters that come from the factory. You can get several X-pipes or H-pipes that only have 2 cats on them and should pass emmisions tests, if you have them where you live(location???). I don't have emmisions tests where I live so I ordered a Mac Pro Chamber H-pipe(no cats), which if you read the May 2000 issue of 5.0 Mustang, had the highest increase in H.P. and tied for the second highest increase in torque. There was a big X-pipe comparison article where they actually dyno'd several different ones.
I should have mine in a week or two and will find out first hand if I made the right choice.

Good Luck

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac True Fit Cat-Back
http://minot.com/~topel/stang9.JPG

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 03-20-2000).]
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2000, 08:45 PM   #3
T-Bone
Registered Member

I forgot to tell you that there are step-by-step instructions for the Mac at Mustang Worlds web site at http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/hpip1.htm
I used these instructions to remove my stock H-pipe and will use them to install the Pro Chamber when it gets here. Great pictures and very detailed instructions. Highly recommended. Check it out!
Oh yeah, and a new X/H pipe will make your car louder as well.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2000, 10:51 AM   #4
96cobra89Lx306

The bassani x pipe with cats is the way to go man. I lost power when i tried BBK's off road h pipe. The cat back on a cobra will give you close to little or no gain as the stock mufflers flow very well.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
Old 03-21-2000, 06:32 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Talking

96cobra is right on the money...

Bassini X-pipe with cats is a sure bet...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote