MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-22-2001, 12:51 PM   #1
aurilius_maximus
Registered Member

Post 96 Cobra Getting Hot!!!

So I have a 96 Mustang Cobra, pretty much stock and I have 30,000 miles on it. The other day I was on a high way going up hill, so I was crusing in 4th getting ready to pass when I looked down at my temp gauge and it was nearly out of the normal and into the hot. It was like 95 out side. I shifted to 5th and turned my heater on, but I was nearly at the top of the hill and as soon I as I started back down in cooled right off. Someone has said something about a tempertature control switch that enables the fan to run all the time? If this is what it is called where can I get one? Is there anything elese I can do to keep the temp down, relative inexpensively? Thanks in Advance...

------------------
96 Mustang Cobra Blk\Blk Basically Stock...
aurilius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 01:48 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

I'm not the Cobra expert here but wasn't there a cooling system recall on the 96 Cobras? If there is and yours hasn't been fixed that would be a place to start. I'm curious too about the fan switch.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
King Snake
Registered Member

Yes, I have heard that the recall, or actually just a "bulletin", includes replacing the water pump and radiator. A bulletin means they will replace the affected components if they cause problems; a recall means they will replace the components even if you have not had specific problems. At least that is the way I understand it. I believe the only year Cobra affected by this is the '96s, the problem, which is only a problem in warm climates, was fixed on the '97s. That's a good thing because it gets pretty hot around here!

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 05:27 PM   #4
rolling96
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aurilius_maximus:
So I have a 96 Mustang Cobra, pretty much stock and I have 30,000 miles on it. The other day I was on a high way going up hill, so I was crusing in 4th getting ready to pass when I looked down at my temp gauge and it was nearly out of the normal and into the hot. It was like 95 out side. I shifted to 5th and turned my heater on, but I was nearly at the top of the hill and as soon I as I started back down in cooled right off. Someone has said something about a tempertature control switch that enables the fan to run all the time? If this is what it is called where can I get one? Is there anything elese I can do to keep the temp down, relative inexpensively? Thanks in Advance...

I have a 96 GT that was running very hot since several modifications. I installed the fan switch and it was pretty easy and my car runs about 10-20 degrees cooler. This is where I found the idea at: www.superstallions.com/tech/fanswitch.html
rolling96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 05:30 PM   #5
rolling96
Registered Member

I was having heating problems with my 96 GT since several modifications. I did this on my car and it stays about 10 to 20 degrees cooler. Here is where I found the fan switch instructions at: www.superstallions.com/tech/fanswitch.html
rolling96 is offline   Reply With Quote