MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   98 GT auto tranny (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=47671)

loco_nid 01-09-2006 07:57 PM

98 GT auto tranny

Alright, I'm no mechanic but I'm 99% sure it's the transmission. The car was giving to me from a cousin. It's been sitting for a year and I started it up for the first time yesterday. The engine sounds good, but there are no gears. He said when he parked it, all it had was reverse.
So I looked up the transmission for it and it said 98 only.
No other years fit? How hard is it going to be to find another one? Should I buy used or new? Any feedback would be appreciated.

bigwhitecobra 01-09-2006 08:23 PM

Re: 98 GT auto tranny

New, always new. I would also look for a 4R70W. All years fit, but the 98 is a bastard year for these cars for some unGodly reason.

loco_nid 01-09-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwhitecobra
New, always new. I would also look for a 4R70W. All years fit, but the 98 is a bastard year for these cars for some unGodly reason.

So how much is a new trans going to run me?
All years fit? Like 94 and up? Just has to be a GT Auto? I'm guessing some of the mounts might have to be changed?

bigwhitecobra 01-10-2006 10:54 AM

Let me rephrase that....as long as you have the auto trans that will accept the speedo driven gear correction, you will be fine. I think...could be wrong, but I think the 4R70W trans will accept this. If not, you will have ot find an AODE or the like and just bolt it in. It's gonna run you somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range. You may have better luck on ebay, but it is ebay. (buyer beware) You also may want to check with transmission shops around and see if someone has left a tranny there and didn't pay for it. You might get lucky.No mounts should have to change at all. If you go with a different tranny, like a C4 or something, then yes the mounts will have to change.

loco_nid 01-12-2006 05:58 PM

Is there any way of knowing for sure that a transmission from a 95 mark 8 would fit? It has the 4.6, would I just have to match the codes?
Reason I'm asking is I can get one for almost free.

bigwhitecobra 01-13-2006 11:14 AM

It should fit with no problems. Great thing about Ford, they grab stuff off the shelf to work in all their cars. Just use your existing wiring harness for that tranny, and everything should be kosher. Let me know if that helps.

loco_nid 01-13-2006 06:25 PM

Alright, thanks bigwhite. I really appreciate the help. I'm gonna grab that transmission the begining of next week and hopefully get it in my car in the next few weeks. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

bigwhitecobra 01-14-2006 10:03 AM

No problem. Glad to help.