MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
elsoloscuro
Registered Member

Default 60K Stock 96 GT Need More Power

all -

I have a automatic 96 GT which I purchased used.
It has 60,000 miles on it but drives great and I have had no problems with it.
The car had some previous modification on it which were mostly cosmetic(light bar, hard tonneau cover, lowering kit, saleen rims). The only modifications I can find outside of these are a K&N filter and a engine stabilizer bar.

I am thinking about replacing the rear-end gears, then doing a PI headswap. Afterwards I am thinking about replacing the exhaust system.

Do these mods make sense? Are there any issues i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

E
elsoloscuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

You will definetly not regret doing the gear swap first. It is the one that makes the biggest difference for the price.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

elsoloscuro - you're defintely on the right track.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You are going in the right direction. You can get PI heads dirt cheap on ebay.

I am thinking about buying a 96 for a drag car for that very reason.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
elsoloscuro
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am glad to hear I am not too far off. I did a lot of research on the topic and weeded out a lot of bolt on parts that arent more than a wast of money.

I was afraid that at 60,000 miles my engine/transmission would not hold up to the mods. Should I worry about this?

I can not do the PI headswap myself, are there any suggestions on what kind of shop I should go to? Also if the shop lets me, what PI Kit should I get?

As far as the gears go, what gear-ratio is recomened? I want to drive the car on a daily basis and I am in traffic a lot (los angeles-405 yuk!) but still want to get big gains on the weekend as my friends have some fast cars...

I know I have asked a lot, but if there are any recomendations on what I should do to the exhaust, and what manufactures to use?

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice.

**In return if anyone has any software/ computer issues I could probably help you out a lot...

elsoloscuro
Old 08-24-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

go with 3:73 gears or maybe 4:10's. You need alot of extra parts with the PI swap so buy the full kit off the net GEF racing or parkway ford. About 1100 bucks for everything. Or buy the used heads and the parts you need. Swap out that exhaust with a full header back kit and get some pullies and your done. well, not quite done, then you'll want a supercharger or nitrous. Then you'll want.............. It never ends!!

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
elsoloscuro
Registered Member

Thanks. I think I have narrowed it down to the following:

Motorsport 3.73 gear
Powerhead performance PI kit
motorsport ceramic shorty headers
bassani x-pipe w/cats

Cat-back??? Borla? Bassani? Magnaflow? Which will give me the deepest throaty grumble while not losing HP or torque

I think I am going to wait and purchase all the parts then get them installed all at the same time.

Any ideas on the cat back? I am pretty set on the motorsport headers and the bassani x-pipe...?

thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 02:54 PM   #8
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

You will be very happy with the Magnaflow, it is very high quality (all SS) and the tips have a very unique look that sets you apart from all the other mustang owners, they are the loudest I've used, and the most aggressive sounding, I have exhaust cutouts and a lot of my friends can't tell if they are open or closed when they are lineing me up for a race. They don't have that drone, or interior resonance that other loud mufflers have, They are like a glass pack but packed with stainless steel wool so they won't burn out. They have a lifetime warranty, but have the sound of a glasspack.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote