MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default cobra engine?

i have an 03 GT that has flowmasters, a mac cold air induction pipe and filter and have recently bought Ford Motorsport shorty headers that i will be installing in the spring. next fall i plan in istalling a chip and some 3:55 gears . what i was wondering is if i should wait until my car is paid off in 3 years and buy an SVT cobra engine? how would you aquire one, if dropping in one is possible, and what other mods should i do to make this possible besides the 6 speed tranny and cluth?
urstangsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wait until the warranty expires and just put a blower on your existing engine...

The 03 Cobra has a kickin engine, but there are PLENTY of options for making power out of an SOHC block...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I COMPLETELY agree with Hammer! There are soo many other options that are available...you can make your car faster than a Cobra.

Also, why destroy an otherwise very good '03? You car is too new. I can assume from your post that money does not grow on trees for you (hey, it doesn't for me either). If it did, you probably would not have a loan. If you were to drop in a Cobra motor, the car would practically be worthless. Maybe to you it would have value, but not to anyone else if you had to sell it.

You can always remove a blower (or turbo, etc) before having to sell the car and then sell the blower separately.

Just a thought.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 09:18 PM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

The current Cobra motor and harware to install is about 10 - 12 grand not to mention the labor. Blower cams and a blower and maybe a ported set of heads would be around 5 grand or so. You would have way more Hp with that set up than a Cobra motor. The only difference in the cobra motor is the heads and blower, and a few internal parts. Don't ruin a nice car with a different engine, make your engine a beast!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
fastang
Registered Member

Just slap a blower on it and keep your stock heads and cams. You will make plenty of power with an 8lb kit. I wouldnt recomend 355's either. I had them in my 95 and really wanted 373's. Just my opinion but I wanted more gear.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:41 AM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Default Re: cobra engine?

Quote:
Originally posted by urstangsmoke
i have an 03 GT that has flowmasters, a mac cold air induction pipe and filter and have recently bought Ford Motorsport shorty headers that i will be installing in the spring. next fall i plan in istalling a chip and some 3:55 gears . what i was wondering is if i should wait until my car is paid off in 3 years and buy an SVT cobra engine? how would you aquire one, if dropping in one is possible, and what other mods should i do to make this possible besides the 6 speed tranny and cluth?
If you're goal is increased horsepower and overall better performance, there are easier ways to acheive it.

-As for ruining your car by swapping the engine-

A lot of good advice can be gleaned here on how to improve your current set-up.

BOTTOMLINE:Swapping a Cobra motor (DOHC) for you current motor (SOHC) isn't the most cost effective way to improve hp.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

Hate to jump on the band wagon but there is so many mods for the GT. For example PI Head, PI Intake. Put a blower on it and you will save money while increasing HP!!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
GodStang
College Stanger

Hate to jump on the band wagon but there is so many mods for the GT. For example PI Head, PI Intake. Put a blower on it and you will save money while increasing HP!!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

wait until the warranty runs out, then slap a Kenne Bell blower on it. You'll have all the power you need.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
Mach1Marauder
Registered Member

Default Ummmmmm...........Forged internals?

All I've seen is blower this and blower that.
Man, When you are really ready to step up to a blower or turbo, do it right the first time and rebuild your ENGINE with forged internals!
Keep it with the small mods you have planned 'til your warranty expires, then go from there if you still feel the need for more speed. Just do it right the first time!

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 5spd IUP
Bone Stock!
(If the Chevy guys can do it.....so can I)
Mach1Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Man, When you are really ready to step up to a blower or turbo, do it right the first time and rebuild your ENGINE with forged internals!
------------------------------------

The old Yellowjacket ran a blower with stock internals for over 50,000 miles. Ran strong up until the day I sold her...

Staying with a moderate boost and having a good tune is key.

Of course if you want to go with anything over 10 PSI with a blower, I would also look at rebuilding the engine first....
Old 11-09-2003, 04:29 AM   #12
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Hammer - Curious why did you sell the jacket?
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #13
urstangsmoke
Addict

thanks guys for the input, much apreciated.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #14
urstangsmoke
Addict

besides forged internals, what else could i do to make my engine more ready for more horsepower, more stronger?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #15
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Reasons in this order:
Wife... Money... Needed a milder daily driver...

Plus I was able to get a kick butt 88 fox body and more money for the 83 restore...