MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Post Hitch on mustang

I have a 92GT, mostly stock, not lowered and I was looking into getting a wave runner w/ trailor, possibly even one that can hold 2 wave runners. I have seen a mustang or two with a hitch on the back for something like this. What are the drawbacks of having a hitch professionally installed on the back of a mustang? Does it kill the trans and engine? The manual for my 92 GT said I could tow 500lbs.

Thanks!
Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
rbatson

Thumbs up

I don't know about the tranny but it shouldn't be a problem atall. I had a hitch on my bumper for a few years so I could tow a jet ski and I had a friend in college that had a 83 mustang vert that he used to tow a jet ski with, his was a manual, like yours. What is it with convertibles and jet skis?

Only bad thing about a GT is that you have to cut a hole in the middle of your plastic.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 05-24-2001, 10:19 AM   #3
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbatson:
Only bad thing about a GT is that you have to cut a hole in the middle of your plastic.
Thanks for the info. I would have to cut a hole in my back bumper!?!?! Is there anyway around that? I know on the newer mustangs the hitch will fit below the bumper.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
Old 05-24-2001, 11:16 AM   #4
PGkelly
Registered Member

get yourself an acetyline torch and some sheet steel and you can get around ANYTHING, even the rear bumper.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:24 PM   #5
DemonGT
Registered Member

you dont have to cut your bumper..the previous owner of my car put a hitch on and pulled a 4 wheeler and a small boat..the hitch is so rusted now that i would trust pulling anything with it..but where the ball goes its flat and it has a plastic cover..when you want to pull something you take the cover off and put the ball on,here is a pic..if you cant see the pic go here http://www.angelfire.com/wi/demon/mustangback.jpg

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,accufab 70mm tb,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's,four cylinder springs up front
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
DemonGT
Registered Member

and if that dont work then go here http://www.angelfire.com/wi/demon/
and scroll down and click on HAHAHAHAHA

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,accufab 70mm tb,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's,four cylinder springs up front
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:32 PM   #7
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Thanks for the pic, I think I can deal with a hitch like that. Anyone know where I can get one of these installed at? I do not have my original owners manual...does anyone know how much I can tow?

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
Old 05-27-2001, 01:53 AM   #8
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

your limiting factor for towing is going to be the tongue weight of the trailer. your mustang has the power to pull most anything if you don't mind the bumper dragging on the ground. i would not recommend a tongue weight of more than 150# or so.
GONZO99TA is offline   Reply With Quote