MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Air/Fuel Ratio Question

What is the ideal air/fuel ratio for the 4.6? How do you have it checked?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

It is checked during a dyno run and costs an additional 10-20 bucks on top of a basic dyno run. The A/F ratio is best when it is around 12.5:1 to 13.5:1 from what I have been told. Abit on the leaner side is said to be better. I'm new to this and have just asked this same question on another board. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Snakeman
Registered Member

the optimum a:f ratio is the one that makes the most power with the available fuel without detonation. this can only be determined by monitoring/adjusting during a dyno tuning session. every motor responds differently to timing and a:f changes.

people like me that run a power adder, typically run a richer mixture for safety reasons, while naturally aspirated combinations can be tuned closer to stoichiometric ratios.