MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
Roast Beast
Registered Member

Cool Anyone ever hear of the FR500?

Just saw this at www.supercars.net and I think it looks real nice. The front looks real kick arse. Anyone have any info about this? Is ford thinking about making the newer stangs look like this? I think it looks awsome "and look at the power under the hood." Then again this is with the old 5.0 not the 4.6. Take a look right here.
http://www.supercars.net/SDBQ?y=1999...ustang%20FR500

roast beast

[This message has been edited by Roast Beast (edited 04-11-2001).]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:28 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

That ain't no old 5.0!

Its the 4.6 DOHC with that has a larger bore (spray bore). The heads are tumble port design like the 99/2001 Cobra, and the intake manifold uses IMRCs, but high in the runners, not right before the ports like on the 96-98 Cobras. It also uses a dual intake/MAF/filter assembly.

The front suspension uses a fabricated cross member to move the front axle forward for better weight distribution (50/50) and suport a SLA (short and long A-arm) suspension.

Supositly the long awaited FRPP intake manifold and heads are based on the FR500 design. They work extremely well on the test cars, but so far there has been no published date for their release.

Anyway, its a bad *** concept car, but so far it has failed to yeild fruit. Maybe the 2003 Cobra will take advantage of the better engine parts.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:31 PM   #3
bark3rd
Registered Member

Pretty slick, to me this car looks like Steeda had something to do with the design. the seats look like the Steeda seats??? i wonder how much they want for that baby, probably something crazy like Saleen...I'll stick with good ol' bolt ons!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,mach,leather
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

So far they have not really mentioned how they would be priced if they were ever released for sale, but you could probably expect that they would be in the Cobra R price range or maybe even a little more given the trick suspension.
I had heard over a year ago that all the parts on the FR500 would be available for purchase individually in the Ford Racing catalog, but there is still nothing but the seats and steering wheel in this year's catalog.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:55 PM   #5
Roast Beast
Registered Member

97snakedriver, I bow down to your knowledge that has destroys my feeble mustang know-how. Well hopefully some parts will come from this beast into the new stangs. I really love the styling of it, looks very very cool, especially the front end.
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:29 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

It was on the cover of Car and Driver a year ago or so. I think they were throwing $55K around as a price and something like $19K to convert a Cobra over completely. Really this is the car that SHOULD of been the Cobra R. Sames brakes, better balance, better suspension, more power...
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:16 PM   #7
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

As 97snakedriver has already stated the FR500 should be the basis the future Cobra is based on.

The 50/50 wgt distribution makes it compliant in corners and great for long tours. A true Grand Touring car.

The FR500 program has been slow in releasing these parts so the public is antsy to say the least.

According to inside sources at blueovalnews.com some factories were equipped with the spray bore technology that created that modular 5.0. -Exciting news soem maybethe future Cobras will be bored out to 5.0L- But wait .... conflicting info has come from other sources saying that the spray progam is too costly and not likely will impact future Cobra production.

I think ROUSH may have something to do with it.

------------------
K!
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown Stage II ROUSH
without the side exhaust but some other cool stuff

Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote