MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #1
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Question AODE and 4R70W??? whats the difference???

Ok I have a 1996 GT with and automatic transmission. I call it an AODE (Automatic Overdrive Electronically controlled) and I know other Mustangers that call it that. But I keep seeing this 4R70W stuff on this website and in magazines. What is the difference or are the both names for the same tranny?
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:35 AM   #2
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

The gear set in the AODE is closer ratio than the 4R70W, this is where the W comes from in the name. Wide Ratio, there's not a huge difference and I think it's only in the 1-2 gears. I think they also changed a couple other internals and the way it works to make it a little stronger. I believe that you can have your AODE gutted and replaced with 4R70W internals and make it quite strong....

PS--- don't take crap from 5spds..... Auto is just as fast, and more consistent!!!!

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Here's an excerpt from http://www.baumannengineering.com/ You may want to read this site. Very Informative about AOD/AODE/C4/4R70W

The Automatic OverDrive (AOD) transmission was introduced in 1980 as an answer to demands for higher fuel economy, lower vehicle emissions, and improved vehicle driveability. The AOD was a new transmission design into which various design features of existing Ford automatic transmissions were incorporated. The AOD was one of the first transmissions of its type in the automotive industry and also one of the simplest by design.

The AOD gear train design was based on the gear train of the FMX/Cruise-O-Matic transmission which (in one form or another) has been part of Ford's automatic transmission history for decades. This gear train incorporates a compound (six-pinion) planetary gear unit, utilizing one planetary carrier with a set of short and long pinions, rather than two or three single planet carriers. This design was probably used because of the minimal changes needed to "add" overdrive to it. In fact, the FMX, AOD and AOD-E/4R70W are the only modern Ford transmissions which share the compound planetary design.

The reasons for using an AOD (or AOD-E), instead of a C-4 or C-6 transmission in your performance vehicle are obvious. The primary advantage of using an AOD is the potential for fuel efficiency with no resultant sacrifice in performance, thanks to the 2/3-1 overdrive ratio which made the AOD a clear choice for Ford Motor Company, as well as its customers. For example, even a steep 3.73-1 rear axle ratio becomes a 2.49-1 ratio during fourth gear cruise (3.73 x 2/3 = 2.49), allowing about 1000 less engine RPM at highway speeds. Not only does the AOD provide a better cruising ratio than a three-speed automatic, but it also serves to further increase efficiency by bypassing the torque converter in fourth (and partially in third) gear through the direct input shaft. This is a precursor to the A4LD, E4OD and AOD-E/4R70W transmissions which use a converter clutch to perform the same function under EEC control (providing much better performance).

The AOD-E/4R70W is the latest and best Ford performance transmission, and in our opinion, represents the foreseeable future of performance rear-wheel-drive automatic transmission technology. The beauty of the AOD-E/4R70W is that it retains all of the AOD’s good features while improving the weak points (some of which can be improved in an AOD by using AOD-E parts). The AOD-E incorporates an enlarged two-inch-wide overdrive band, thereby eliminating an obvious weak link as well as providing some of the previously mentioned upgrade parts for the AOD. Another feature that is greatly improved from the AOD is the "lockup" or torque converter bypass system. Instead of the weaker concentric input shaft system of the AOD, the AOD-E/4R70W uses an actual clutch in the converter to provide lockup under EEC control, rather than the fixed "60% lockup" in third and "full lockup" in fourth gear system of the AOD. The stronger input shaft and greater flexibility of this system are further enhanced by the fact that the converter clutch may actually be partially applied or "slipped" under electrical PWM (pulse-width-modulation) control from the EEC PCM. Unfortunately, the lockup system from the AOD-E cannot be transferred to your existing AOD, but vendors such as Precision Industries and Art Carr Transmissions provide high quality input shafts and torque converters that can either strengthen the inner (most likely to snap) input shaft or eliminate the AOD’s "lockup" feature altogether (as in the case of Art Carr’s solid input shaft, which bears a strong resemblance to the factory AOD-E input shaft). Finally, the 4R70W (AOD-EW) wide-ratio gear-set can be transplanted into any AOD or standard-ratio AOD-E application for greater first and second gear pulling power.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:12 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Thanks a lot man, but can u help me some more? How do i find out if i have a 4R70W? My car is a 96, did the 4R70W come in the 97's and on? Thanks for the rest of the info though, it helped a lot.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 04:21 PM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I will have to consult the manual on that one. I think it was atleast 97 when they put them in, but don't quote me on that.... You can get under your car and find the tag on the Tranny housing next to the shifter mechanisim or on the direct opposite ide from that and it will tell you the Tranny code for that type. it's prob a letter, like T or R or W, those aren't the real codes, but that's about what they look like. I am at work right now, I will check the book when I get home.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

All auto 4.6L's are 4R70W's. The last year for the AODE in the Stang was '95.

Here is the best thing you can read about your tranny:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html
Go to "Ford OD Transmissions 101 - Jerry's mod"

It'll take a good while to read and learn it all, but I guarentee you that you will know more about the tranny then just about every Ford Tech.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote