MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Appying M112 to 2V Intake..

Saleen is a company of theives, where do they get off charging $5,000 for their Saleen Series IV supercharger..which is identical to the supercharger/engine intake of the 03/04 Cobras. Meanwhile M112 units alone w/blower are only selling for what they ARE worth, about $300 or $400. Problem of course, sounds a lot like computer components, cell phone accessories, digital cameras...the parts are purposely built with different needs. Anyway, if I wanted to buy an M112 supercharger and install it on a 40th ann. V8, I whats my best bet as far as engine intakes and what else would I need? This is not something I'm doing right now, down the road...Right now I'm still having problems installing these damn rotors. Thanks. Greg
Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool Re: Appying M112 to 2V Intake..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTPEWTER
..which is identical to the supercharger/engine intake of the 03/04 Cobras.
They are not identical.

2V vs 4V

As for installing a M112 (especially a 03/04 Cobra variant) on your 2V (inferred) good luck with that and post the detailed list of parts ..... it will be extensive and expensive.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: Appying M112 to 2V Intake..

I dont know why I said that, what I meant was the Saleen series IV blower was based on the M112 design. I know that Ford Racing makes 4v intakes that can be installed on a 2v engine, at which point the blower with a series of other pieces of hardware can be used. Extensive? Fine by me, I would'nt be doing it anyway, just supplying the parts to my mechanic..Expensive?? If I could get a step-by-step or even just a list of parts needed besides the intake and supercharger kit it would probably wind up costing a lot less than $5,000. This is the kind of stuff I think people looking to supercharge their late model Mustangs should all know about before blowing that much on a Vortech or ProCharger...except for Kenne Bell, I hear that that one is worth the money. For the one source I got this from, as far as installing an M112 supercharger on their GT, the work did'nt go any lower than the cylinder heads, which also need to be changed.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
1989GT
Registered Member

You're comparing a brand new complete kit from saleen(blower, intercooler, injectors, pump, electronics etc.) To a used eaton blower. Now the saleen kit is a little steep but that's still apples to oranges. Ford racing does make a kit for the 2v but I believe it uses a M90 eaton blower, which is gonna be maxed out real shortly, it's a 6lb kit also. Keep in mind that the eatons are junk compaired to other things out there, ie kenne bell. You'd be better off just getting a kenne bell kit and rest assured that it has everything you need, rather than try to piece a kit together. Not to mention you can't just tear it down and swap heads, that'll require timing chains, valve covers, front cover, intake and other little misc things. Also remember that after you've gone thru all that trouble that the stock rods are junk and are going to come apart somewhere in the range of 400-450 rwhp. There's nothing cheap about forced induction or horse power for that matter, but if you want to go FI and are trying to save some $$$ consider building your own turbo kit. Every last part you need can be easily resourced from the internet. Turbo is the only way to go. You might also consider doing some research on one of the big modular sites.
www.modulardepot.com
www.modularfords.com
www.modularpowerhouse.com

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I've seen throttle bodies with bigger bores but I also saw one 99 GT for sale that the guy made a twin turbo with a turbo kit, but is that really usefull? It seems like more air in the intake wont power the thing better, unless I could use a twin turbo kit with a supercharger...then I think youre probably talking about having one custom made, at which point youre delving into costs that leave you thinking why didnt I just buy a Saleen S7. I dont know I cant find twin bore throttle bodies for these motors.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Quote:
I've seen throttle bodies with bigger bores but I also saw one 99 GT for sale that the guy made a twin turbo with a turbo kit, but is that really usefull? It seems like more air in the intake wont power the thing better, unless I could use a twin turbo kit with a supercharger...then I think youre probably talking about having one custom made, at which point youre delving into costs that leave you thinking why didnt I just buy a Saleen S7. I dont know I cant find twin bore throttle bodies for these motors.
Turbos will always make more power than a supercharger at the same boost level because they are more efficient and are not driven by the crank. Not sure if you understand forced induction by your statements. Compressing the air makes for a denser intake charge, which allows you to burn more fuel to make more power. Whether that denser air is produced by a centrifugal blower or a turbo or a positive displacement supercharger it all serves the same purpose.
Putting an Eaton on your car 2V basically would require a custom lower intake manifold and would cost you a ton of money for that and all the other little things you would need to make it work. Even for people with '99-'01 Cobras that have heads that the '03-'04 Cobra blower and lower intake will bolt right up to it's not worth it by the time you get all the other parts you need.
There's a reason why people buy application-specific kits..
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I understand forced induction doctor, what I was asking was if a twin turbo application would be any more helpful than one cold air intake.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

In fact, nevermind...Don't have the money just yet.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

With forced induction you are pressurizing the intake charge (boost). A cold air kit doesn't do anything close to that it just takes in cooler air which is slightly denser.
As far as twin vs. single turbo, a huge single turbo will make more top end horsepower than two smaller turbos, but it will also have more lag.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
mustang2k00
Registered Member

I think you guy may be interested in this thread:

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165648
mustang2k00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
P.C.
SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD ON!

The bullet intake has a twin bore 2v throttle body.As far as all the turbo.supercharger stuff..u should buy a 03-04 cobra motor.probably the cheapest way out.And be done with it.
P.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C.
The bullet intake has a twin bore 2v throttle body.As far as all the turbo.supercharger stuff..u should buy a 03-04 cobra motor.probably the cheapest way out.And be done with it.
Actually, buying an 03-04 Cobra motor is an extremely expensive way to go unless you can find a wrecked donor car. Ford wants $11k just for the complete engine. Better off getting forged internals and a blower or turbo kit for the 2V at that rate.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue00gt
Actually, buying an 03-04 Cobra motor is an extremely expensive way to go unless you can find a wrecked donor car. Ford wants $11k just f
or the complete engine. Better off getting forged internals and a blower or turbo kit for the 2V at that rate.
Actually you can get the whole assembly from supercharger to oil pan and ECU for between $6,000 and $7,000..but they're going fast on the market...you can't buy them brand new from Ford anymore.
Yes, I know that cold air intakes are something different than supercharger blowers..this I was not confused on. I was talking about twin-turbo kits that have two boosters, two cold air pipes and feed into a twin-bore throttle body. THAT is what I saw on the car I talking about earlier. And for whoever said the bullet intake for the GT engine was a good buy, I saw those in CJ Pony Parts but they did'nt come with throttle body adapters...I actually would'nt get an 03 motor because I've seen the benefits of Rousch engine upgrades and Kenne Bell superchargers also, and the cobra motor would be a little hp gain for too much cash...considering you can get over 500hp with a Rousch intake and blower. In the mean time though, the right twin-turbo kit would give me as much of a hp gain as I need until I can afford to part with $8,000 for a supercharger kit. If anyone here watches Horsepower tv on Spike they mounted a simple twin-turbo kit to the underside of the engine bay on an 05 Vette and got a significant increase...obviously the 2001 Mustang GT does'nt compare to that car but it looked like a simple enough way to gain quick hp.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Quote:
...I actually wouldn't get an 03 motor because I've seen the benefits of Roush engine upgrades and Kenne Bell superchargers also, and the cobra motor would be a little hp gain for too much cash...considering you can get over 500hp with a Roush intake and blower.
I'm a ROUSH guy but a 03/04 long block at $7-8K is easily a better bargain.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
1989GT
Registered Member

Quote:
...I actually would'nt get an 03 motor because I've seen the benefits of Rousch engine upgrades and Kenne Bell superchargers also, and the cobra motor would be a little hp gain for too much cash...considering you can get over 500hp with a Rousch intake and blower
Maybe you're not aware of the fact that the cobra motor has a forged rotating assy. That the cobra guys are pushing to 800+ rwhp with out an issue. Also the motor has 4 valve heads and a eaton blower from the factory. Pulley,chip, exhaust=500 rwhp The kenne bell kit or whatever could make 500 rwhp on your car but at about 400-450 or so it'll spit your rods out the side of the block. Sure you could build a 2v that'll take 800 rwhp I just did it for a buddy of mine=free labor. But if your paying for it, the factory assembled cobra motor is a great deal.
Quote:
In the mean time though, the right twin-turbo kit would give me as much of a hp gain as I need until I can afford to part with $8,000 for a supercharger kit.
The right turbo kit will make more power that you can ever use. There's a reason the cobra guys are switching to turbo kits.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

turbo=more efficient than supercharger=more power at the same boost level

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: