MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Stokestack
Registered Member

Default Aren't there upgraded springs that DON'T lower?

Hi all.

I had a bunch of suspension upgrades to my '96 Cobra convertible (see list below if interested). The infuriating result is a car that can't be safely driven around town because it's way too low.

Actual lowering looks like it was around two inches, but with subframe connectors added that's at least three inches of lost clearance. Now the front undercarriage (though not necessarily the subframe connectors) is routinely slamming into the ground. On the crowns of adjoining streets in an intersection, on a very small bulge in the asphalt that was smushed up in a poorly filled pothole, and on things I can't even identify.

Check it out: http://AmbitiousProductions.com/car/scrape.jpg

Something hit the underside hard enough to dislodge the plastic runner under the driver's door, which is now sprung out with the plastic plugs showing. And it's offering some resistance to going back in, which worries me.

The point is, I didn't want the car lowered at all. But Maximum Motorsports says there are no aftermarket springs that don't lower the car. Is that true? Is my only option to go back to stock springs (which of course I didn't keep because I just don't have room)? Where do you recommend buying springs?

Thanks for any opinions. Below is the stuff I added to the car.

Maximum Motorsports:
subframe connectors, full length
panhard bar
control arms, MMRLCA-1
Eibach Pro spring kit
Bilstein HD shocks & struts
CC plates
Firmer differential bushing for ctrl arms
Stokestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Re: Aren't there upgraded springs that DON'T lower?

Not really. Your best bet is to get a coil over set up and adjust ride height that way. Most of them lower the car to gain the most of the geometry. Lowering the car lowers the center of gravity, which helps handling. Since you have all the other good stuff done, it may be benificial to you to look into that.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Stokestack
Registered Member

Default $

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, after spending considerable money on these parts and installation, I'm not going to scrap them and spend more on a coil-over setup. I've spent half the value of the car on upgrades, and the result is a big pain in the ass.
Stokestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
ivy95gts
5.7 < 5.0... and I failed math

Default Re: $

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokestack
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, after spending considerable money on these parts and installation, I'm not going to scrap them and spend more on a coil-over setup. I've spent half the value of the car on upgrades, and the result is a big pain in the ass.
Heh, yea.. I'd say that about sounds like a mustang Think thats a problem we all have
95' Mustang GT-S: Mac headers, off-road H, and cat back, 3.73, Mac fenderwell cold air, throttle body spacer, Mac under-drive pulleys, crane cam .530/.530,Professional products intake, 70mm TB, Tremec TKO500, Hurst short throw, UPR handle, Ford racing strut tower brace, Mickey Thompson ET's, broken stock axles
Best ET: 8.53 @ 81 MPH

Sponsored by Modular Madness
Mooresville, N.C
(704) 660-3464
ivy95gts is offline   Reply With Quote