MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Jimljr145
Registered Member

Question Aurora Tires / New shoes for the Pony!

I am in desperate need of replacing the tires on my 01 GT (well, the back ones anyway). My local tire place is trying to sell me a set of their "Aurora" tires. Anybody ever heard of Aurora Tires? I looked at them, and they seem ok. I am not able to locate much information on them as far as how they hold up. Anyone have any experience with them? I wanted to get a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M/S, to survive the unpredictable New Jersey weather. I got a quote of $195.00 each mounted and balanced, and the Aurora tires were $118.00 each. Anyhow, I am looking for suggestions on what you guys run on your cars. Mine is a stock GT with a manual trans. I have traction control too, which gets a workout with the horrible toyo tires that are currently on it. By the way, my work ride is a newer model Crown Vic Police Interceptor, and the department runs Goodyears on them, but I don't think I would ever buy them for my own ride. I am not at all impressed with the way they handle, unless I am going straight and it is dry. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Jimljr145; 03-24-2005 at 08:42 PM..
Jimljr145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: Aurora Tires

New radials I think'll be a popular topic for the next few weeks after a winter like that one, I think the best tires out there right now are the BF Goodrich Traction T/A HR all season tires that Ford put on the 2005 Mustang. Their tough and long-lasting, great for handling on either wet or dry roads and have a really cool tread pattern on top of that..but they're about $110 unbalanced and unmounted, I mean just for the radials. I need some help too from the next person to come to this thread, I just ordered a new set of 245/45/17 radials for MY '01 GT, don't worry about the brand..I just need help with exactly how to mount them on my GT Bullit R 17" alloy wheels. I'll have them balanced at exxon but I'm trying to save a little cash here. Exxon is a mile from my house, so what I want to do is mount them on the rims, fill the tubes with a manual tire pump and then drive to Exxon so those guys can balance them. This seems pretty straight foward but if anyone has any tips or warnings feel free...after all this IS my commuter car, I can't afford to be without it the next morning because I mounted the tires incorrectly...One more thing, do I NEED to have both ends of the car either jacked or on stands to install a set of low-riding sport springs?..can't I just jack the car up one end at a time, loosen the sway bar or shocks and take the springs out?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Jimljr145
Registered Member

As far as putting the new tires on, I would only trust that to a shop. I am sure there are plenty of ways to do it at home, but think about it, all the time and money you spend on your car, I would want to know my tires are going to stat put once they are on. I would put them in the car and take them to the station and let them do it there the right way. As far as the springs, most things I've bought come with some type of instruction. Read them, listen to what others may say, and get everything ready before you start. I can't imagine installing them would take more than a day for even an unexperienced person as long as you have some guidance. Maybe a buddy or two to help wouldn't hurt either. It is another thing you should not try to do on the cheap though. In my opinion of course. I've never lowered anything, but I've had a few trucks I've lifted, and usually it required some magic by an alignment shop to get the thing to track right. Again, maybe some other's that lowered their cars can give you better insight and / or direction here.
"My other car is a Crown Vic"
Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Jimljr145
Registered Member

I guess nobody heard of these Aurora tires? I can't seem to find much online about them either. I am not rolling in the dough, but my income tax is here and I am itching to put some new shoes on the pony. I am just looking for the best bang for my buck. I was hoping that someone here could complain about how bad this tire was, or how good this one was... I did find Goodyear ZR's from my local ford dealer (I did learn they are different tires all together than the one's on my police car), and they will mount and balance for $145.00 each. But again, I would love to hear from some of you that have these tires and tell me what you think. I mostly drive around town, but for those of you that don't know, the weather in New Jersey is summer one day, winter the next; Rain, hot and sunny, then snow all in the same day. It basically is for the ducks. Any help or suggestions? Anyone else familiar with the BFG's on the 05 Stangs?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

If you can get those Goodyear ZR's mounted and balanced for $145 go for it. I have bought cheap tires because 17's wear so fast and are so expensive, I won't do it again. The BFG is a new tire, should be good. I have had Comp T/A ZR's and loved them, just not the price.

2001GTPEWTER, I had my Cobra R's mounted and balanced on the tires I had on my stock rims, cost me $40. Don't try to save money on stuff like that, it is not worth it, and you really aren't saving a lot. Springs can be done one wheel at a time with 2 floor jacks or a floor jack and a good jackstand. It is not a hard job, but it is no fun either.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Jimljr145
Registered Member

Orange97GTVert, what kind of tires do you use? I am in a strange position where money isn't too much of a factor, only because I got a lot more than expected from my income tax. (This is not an everyday occurrance mind you.) I was looking for people's experiences with their tires, as everyone around here (the shops) think their tires are the best. In the past, I only used BFG, but they were MT's, and I don't need monster mud tires for a Mustang. For the past three years, I had a V6 stang (which my wife now drives) so tire performance was not too much a factor. Now it is. How does your car handle with what you have on her now?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

My 97 GT came with Goodyear ZR45's. They rode good, lasted about 20K miles. Great traction. I replaced them with BFG Comp T/A ZR's, they rode good, looked awesome, great traction, lasted about 20K miles, cost $850/4 mounted and balanced. I bought some Sumitomo's for $650/4, hated them from day one. At that time it was my wife's car and I was cutting costs because if I told her I was going to spend $850 on tires again she woud probably trade it. 2 weeks later she bought an 02 V6, and I got the 97 with those crappy tires. They were roadwalky and wouldn't ever balance right. they lasted about 12K miles and I bought some Capitals, $351/4. At first they were balanced perfect and rode good, then I bought new wheels and from then on they have never been balanced just right and as they wear they get noisier and traction sucks.

My son just got an 03 GT, has new Goodyear ZR45's on it, they are so smooth and quiet, I have sworn off cheap tires. My next set (soon I hope) will either be a set of Goodyears or back to the BFG's which were my favorites.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

i swear by bfg's myself. had the comp t/a 275/40zr-17's on 9" wide cobra r's and loved 'em. they wore out/ dry rotted after 25k (4 yrs.). now, i've got g-force t/a kd's w/ AA traction rating, and they're not lying. those tires HOOK UP! can't get 'em to squeal, they just grip. also, the treadwear rating is better than the t/a's (200 vs. 180). believe it or not, they are actually really good in the rain...the comp t/a's were not. i think they don't make comp t/a's anymore (think g-force's are their replacement) far as i know these are the best tires out there for a street stang...however, i paid $260/ tire for them. OUCH! by the way, cobra r's look good on any stang! only downfall to my setup is that front pass side tire rubs at full lock when backing up to the left. i've got eibach springs still in the box, but am weary to put them on, cuz i know rubbing is going to get worse, if not be unbearable. good luck in your choice man.
-'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic- 8#Powerdyne,Bassani Cat-X,2 chamber Flows, FMS alum. DS,Kenne Brown subframes,Pro 5.0 short throw,FRPP 3.73's,Accufab Plenum/75mm TB,11# blower pulley,Bassani mid headers,Eibach 1.5" springs,17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's,Centerforce Dual Friction
-'87 Black LX 5.0
BBK shorties&Cat-X,2 chamber Flows,MSD ign,stock 3.08's,MGW short-throw,BBK cold-air,King Cobra clutch,235/55-17(F)&255/50-17(R) Kumho Ecsta's on 95 Cobra R 4-lugs
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote