MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-02-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default bassani x pipe

i want to get one for my 97 GT... i just have a few questions.. i was going to get a stainless steel one with cats... but i have heard that even with the cat version it might not pass emissions? i have also heard that x-pipes wont pass emissions in general. whats with that? is that true? i didnt want to have to change pipes for emissions and stuff, but if the cat version isnt going to pass theres no way im paying $200 more or something for the cats, ill just get offroad. (ive also heard that bassani makes an awesome product but has awful customer service... i.e. someone called about faliling emissions with cat-back and bassani said they make no claims that it will pass, which im sure they dont, but why even have cats?....) can anyone confirm this either way? also i have looked all over the web and only seen them for $500 at almost every site except one is $469 or something, so since they are so close have you all worked with any sites that carry them that you would reccomend? or do you know of any sites that have them cheaper? thanks.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
ac97gt
Registered Member

no one has any experience with bassani x pipes and emissions? how about other pipes (H) with cats and emissions, pass ok?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-07-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

I've had good luck with mine...I guess your state emissions inspections will dictate if it will pass or not. For ex: Md only uses a code scanner for OBD2 (96 +) vehicles, any codes=no pass...no codes=pass.
A visual inspection is not conducted unless there is some suspicion (leaking exhaust, loud exhaust). As far as the sniff inspection, that is usually conducted on OBD1 (pre 96') vehicles.

I would check on how strict your emissions laws and enforcement are.

Basic rule of thumb for emissions is that if it's not factory, it's not legal...there are loop holes in the system though.

To further answer your question, I've passed my emissions with flying colors without any problems at all. Anytime you mod your car, your rolling the dice.

Cliff
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
ac97gt
Registered Member

thanks for the response.. that was pretty helpful, actually. RI emissions are unfortunately strict as compared to other states (from what i've heard) but with just the flowmaster mufflers i passed with ridiculously low numbers. im not so much worried about the legality and passing as much as i am worried about buying the cat version for $200 more (i want to TRY to be legal) then finding out it wont pass anyway and i know i'll wish i bought the off road. i guess ill roll the dice and hope it passes. thanks.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

By the way, if your emissions does not conduct visual inspections...MIL eliminators cure the OBD2 MIL code. Even without cats, most newer cars will pass the sniff test no problems.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Old 07-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
ac97gt
Registered Member

hmm, im not sure if they have visual. why would visual matter if you passed the tests, that seems silly... but anyway, how does the cat system work for the exhaust in our cars? i heard there are 6 cats total, i think theres 4 in the H pipe and where are the other two? in the mufflers? hmmm, i think i still want the cat version to avoid problems

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-09-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

You have six catalytic convertors, all located in the H pipe...Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the catalytic pipe.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Old 07-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #8
ac97gt
Registered Member

you do have the cat version as well right?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-10-2003, 05:49 AM   #9
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Yes...
COMP CAMS