MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2002, 03:21 AM   #1
bosco
Registered Member

Unhappy HELP!!! oil in intake, what to do??

Ok, fisrt off, I have a carburetor on my car, just to let you know what we are working with, and my pcv system is not hooked up. Ok here we go, back in june i believe, i rebuilt my motor, striped it down, put it back together, new pistons, new heads cam, lifters so on.... when I put it back together, after the breakin period, it still smoked. I coundnt remember if i put sealer on the intake gasket, so i took the intake off, noticed oil in the intake, so i sealed it, put back together,....no good. I have the world product windsor jr heads, and the rocker stud holes are drilled all the way to the intake port, so i figured this must not be sealed all the way, i took the rocker studs off, sealed them, put them back together, still no good, so by now, frustrated, it has to be either valve stem seals, or rings, so i pull the motor again,and still noticed a little oil in the intake manifold, but I redo the rings and valve stem seals, very carefuly, i put the motorback together. well this was 2 or 3 months ago, and it still smokes, not as bad, i think when i put it together the first time, it was a combination of these things, so its not as bad now but still does, WTF????? what do i do, am i not sealing the studs right? does anyone else have this porb, or these heads? i really appretiate the help, this has been bugging me for quite some time, it would be nice to get it fixed, if you need more info, or i left anyhting out, let me know, ill be glad to fill in the gaps if any
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
PKRWUD

You should perform a wet and dry compression test, followed by a leak down test. That would at least eliminate some possibilities, and it might just give you your answer.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

Shouldn't they have the PCV hooked up also. And to not have any breathers on the other side. I had mine set up like this and was informed by a reputable guy at our only speed shop that having just breathers on one side and the PCV on the other will cause a vaccume leak and could cause oil to be sucked out when the motor is idling such as in traffic. It seems to run better and not as rich like he said but I didn't understand the whole "sucking oil" story.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

If your lower intake gaskets are leaking you will pul oil from the lifter valley into the lower intake.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
PKRWUD

There is a simple test that will confirm whether or not your inner intake gasket is leaking.

1) Hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold.
2) Fully close the carburetor throttle plates by turning out the curb idle speed screw.
3) Plug the PCV valve opening (for those that have one).
4) Disconnect and plug up any vacuum hoses attached directly to the intake manifold.
5) Disconnect the battery feed wire to the ignition coil to prevent the engine from starting.
6) Crank the engine and observe the vacuum gauge. From 3" to 7" of vacuum (at a minimum of 250 cranking rpm) is normal. A defective intake manifold gasket will give, in most cases, a zero vacuum reading.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote