MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Default Best beginer do it yourselfer?

Ok, so yeah.. I have a really great car that was set up by the local speed shop. I have the vortech on it and everything, but I would like to spend some time on the weekend doing my own stuff.... What would be the best, easiest thing to do. I can go get a shop manual and stuff, but I really have no experience working on the car itself. I envy all of you that know what you're doing and create these insane cars, and I also envy all of you that just do the little things as well.

Can you guys help me out? Maybe something that won't screw everything up if it isn't done exactly right, haha.

I'm tired of just talking, I want to get my hands dirty!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Might want to think about a set of Denso spark plugs if you don't have them already from when they installed the SC. They should help prevent any high rpm spark blowout under boost and prevent a misfire. A single blade TB maybe would be a fun swap. Or an aftermarket shifter or X-pipe. Other then that....? umm, maybe change your oil or something
BTW, what shop up your system? and did they also tune it?
I would love to check out your car, so if you are ever going to be hanging out in town, shoot me an email at jackthemacksnip.net.

BTW - for other's reading this, if I remember correctly he has a '99 or '01 Cobra with an aftercooled Vortech setup. AM I right Rice Hunter?
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:11 AM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

You are absolutely right. I have a 99 Cobra with the Vortech intercooler/aftercooler system. It came with a chip and few other goodies. The fantastic people at JD's Speed Shop dyno'd it and got about 380(ish)rwhp with the Vortech tune. They decided to retune it on the dyno, thus producing the numbers in my sig. They are awesome (but.. um.. pricey). I'm at school (5th year) right now... but I'll get intouch with you when I get home! It would be good to put a face to a name.. plus, the cobra is my pride and joy and would love to go cruisin with some one that can keep up! (Read: my friend's cars are buicks and stuff)

Oh yeah, thanks for the advice.. I think I'll look into an aftermarket shifter.. hell, maybe you might be able to give me some pointers sometime!

Scott

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

Hey don`t feel bad not knowing how to do stuff we all started there i`ve been working on cars for 18 years sure it helped my dad was a mechanic and tought me most of what i know it all takes time yourright though definetly by a shop manual put on some pulleys thats pretty easy but you will need some tools though and it`s kinda hard to screw it up.
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
ylw99vert
Registered Member

Do a shifter, easy mod that you will notice every time you drive the car, also it requires only a minimal amount of tools!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #6
89mustanglx
Registered Member

5 years ago I had never changed oil. 2 months ago I changed head gaskets If you have the motivation you can learn to do almost anything. just make sure you have the good guys here to give you all that advice you need!
Edelbrock Performer rpm heads
Weiand 6-71 blower
Super powershot nitrous plate kit
(lots of other odds n ends)

442 rwhp (no NAWWZZZ)
512 rwtq (no NAWWWWWZZZZZ))
89mustanglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
slow98
Registered Member

Post things are simple

things are simple, all you have to do is learn how to look at something the right way, its pretty much common sense how most parts of a drivetrain work.....some people just complicate things alot more than the should
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:05 PM   #8
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Well, with this thread and the one on tri-ax vs pro 5.0, the first job I will be doing is changing over to a steeda tri-ax! I am excited, now all I have to do is find the time and tools. Will basic tools be fine, or is there something special I should have in mind?

And yeah, if anything goes wrong, I'll be counting on you guys!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 11-19-2002, 03:03 AM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

Get yourself a real feeler gauge, not a spark plug gapper. Also, you will need two 1/2 combination wrenches. The directions that come with the shifter will tell you all the tools you need.

I'll get those pics onto the computer and up for you soon too.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote