MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Default Best tire size for Cobra R's?

Well, its been a long time since I've been here... Sold my '97 GT back in 2003, but just picked up a '97 Cobra this week so I thought I would come back to my favorite mustang forum, but allot has changed over the years apparently and this place is a ghost town. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

Best tire size for Cobra R's? Not sure if they are 17x9 or 9.5. They are already on the car, but they have 245/45's on all four corners and you can tell the tire is way to narrow for the rims. And since the tires are in desperate need of replacement, I was looking for the most recommended size for these wheels. Mainly for the front, I see stock was 255/45. I'm still up in the air on the rear. I was thinking 275/40's or upgrading the rear wheels with 17x10.5' and putting some 315/35's on the back. But I have searched around and cant really seem to find any conclusive information on wether or not they will fit WITHOUT modification or spacers of any sort. Flipping the quad-shock is no big deal, but not looking to do anything more than that. BUT if the 275/40 can fit the front without issues and I know from my GT days the 275 will fit the rear no problem, then it would be nice to have some serious corner gripping power and still maintain rotatability. But I spend more time at the drag strip than in the corners which is why I was thinking the 17x10.5 with 315/35s.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Cobra is lowered. I think with Eibach's. Its not a lot, not as much as the Intrax I had on my GT. They were on the car when he bought it too and he don't remember exactly what the original owner said...

Last edited by afeezor97; 07-19-2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot needed info...
afeezor97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Default Re: Best tire size for Cobra R's?

Well, i got the 17x10.5's with 315/35's on the rear and just kept 245/45 on the front 17x9's. While i was at it i got a look at the springs, they are Eibach Sportline's.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
showtire
Custom ShowTire & Wheel

Just a general reply here. I have a 1996 Cobra with stock 17" cast alum wheels on the front and 17" American Racing wheels on the back, Why? I'm different. All four shoes are Cooper Cobra 245/45ZR17 and I use them for car shows. When you check my profile you will understand me better. I also had a set of the Potenza Pilots same size, they craked and just were worthless. Original shoes were Goodrich same size and they wore quickly. I recently purchased (1) Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 245/45ZR17 95W for experiments in by custom show tire business, but that sucker cost $252.08 so, be sure you want them.

I don't race my car, but I love those Cooper Cobras and that is I'm sure, why the terds stop making them.

Now, I'm knew to this place also and its like, you joined yesterday or, you have been here for ten years and passed away. Very quite, may just be me....,anybody out there? Bet I get a reply from admin.

Good Luck
showtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtire View Post

Now, I'm knew to this place also and its like, you joined yesterday or, you have been here for ten years and passed away. Very quite, may just be me....,anybody out there? Bet I get a reply from admin.

Good Luck
Ya, I've been out of the Mustang business for a long time. I used to have a '97 GT Conv. back in '01-'03 but I sold it. This forum used to kick ass back then but now this place is a ghost town. My account was still here but my post count was reset to 0 or something, most likely because all of the threads I posted in back in the day have been deleted by now.

But I just picked up this Cobra a few weeks ago from a friend that is military and going to Japan for a few years, so he practically gave it to me. Its needs allot of little things because he is not a car guy and he just let I sit around for so long. All four tires were completely smooth and one of the rims was bent, it already had 17x9 Cobra R's on it, and since I needed tires and 1 rim, I figured why not buy 2 rims since the 315's are way cheaper than all the 245-275 tires I looked at. So thats why I got the 17x10.5 rims for the rear... I don't really care for chrome on this Pacific Green either, but like I said, they were already there, so I just thought I'd save some money and keep them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: