MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2004, 02:42 AM   #1
Sage427
Registered Member

Talking Big Block swap

Hello to everyone, i'm new here. I ran across the site searching on the web, and thought it would be a great place to get stang info. I tried searching the forum for a similar question that i'm about to ask, but I couldn't find anything! So if this question has already been address please link it to me.

Here is what I want to do. I am going to be getting a newer model Stang around 99-2002 with probably a V6. The car will serve as a work/travel vehicle and later, a project car. When the engine gives out and i'm done with the V6/V8, I intend on ripping out the engine/tranny and dropping in a big block CJ 428. I know I will most likely need different motor mounts, probably need to check the cross member as well, radiator and fan, pulleys, you know the drill.

My main question is, i'd like to convert the big block into fuel injection using some kind of EFI kit (perhaps something like this http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/5228/) and somehow convert the computer and sensors of the Mustang to "understand" the big block if possible. I don't know of any kind of 3rd party chip maker that would do that, or if I would need a heavily modded wiring harness with special hookups with new senors and fuses?? I have heard of BB's being dropped in the Fox bodies but not in the 99+ models.

If not, then would it be easier in terms of technical issues to just use a carbed intake and retard some of the sensors that would not be needed as to say for fuel injection? My main goal is just all out street thumping big block torque with smooth idle.
Sage427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Holcomb Motorsports sells a lot of parts for motor swaps for Mustangs. You might try giving them a call to see if they can answer your questions. http://www.holcombmotorsports.com/index.htm
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

Big blocks are great. I've got a stock big block / c6 combo in my 86 Coupe and I just went 8.21 spinning and wheel hoping about 60 ft. Only thing not FORD about the engine is the intake and headers. I have a Wieand Stealth intake and long tube swap headers. You'll need motor mounts. Holcomb has these. You'll need a radiator, Electric fans, different transmission ( of your choice, c6, c4, or stick ) I say just stay with the carb. Its a known quantity and can be tuned much easier than EFI without spending alot of cash.

Let me know if there's anything else you need, I dont browse through the mod forums often so you may have to pm me..

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: