MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2002, 11:24 AM   #1
exgmguy
Registered Member

Default Blower set-up and boost gauge Q's

I will be putting on my Novi 1000 this week and I had a couple questions concerning the small details of installation.

I have seen a lot of blower cars that remove that little plastic tube that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body and just cap it off. Is that necessary?

I am also going to dig up a stock crank pulley since my underdrive pulley would be spinning the supercharger slower as well, but does anyone know if a larger than stock crank pulley is available?

And finally to keep a surging idle away, I gave my motor a small vacuum leak at the vacuum log on the firewall. Will this leak cause a loss in boost? And would I have to clamp any other vacuum lines to stop any boost loss?

One more question about a boost gauge. It came with an m.i.p/compression fitting connection (like an oil pressure gauge) but I was considering tapping vaccuum at the firewall/log and not the intake. Bad idea?

Thanks for any info....

Rob

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
drudis

Default Re: Blower set-up and boost gauge Q's

Quote:
Originally posted by exgmguy
I will be putting on my Novi 1000 this week and I had a couple questions concerning the small details of installation.

I have seen a lot of blower cars that remove that little plastic tube that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body and just cap it off. Is that necessary?
YES! If you dont, the blower pressurizes the crankcase (BAD thing) by blowing into the valvecover.

Quote:
I am also going to dig up a stock crank pulley since my underdrive pulley would be spinning the supercharger slower as well, but does anyone know if a larger than stock crank pulley is available?
The "kit" you bought will have the _proper_ blower speed ratio. You start messing with over/underdrives and you start messing with how things run as a package. Not a bad thing, but you gotta allow for the package to work, not just cranking up the boost...

Quote:
And finally to keep a surging idle away, I gave my motor a small vacuum leak at the vacuum log on the firewall. Will this leak cause a loss in boost? And would I have to clamp any other vacuum lines to stop any boost loss?
If you got a vacuum leak, you will also have a blower leak too. Whether negative or positive pressure.

Quote:
One more question about a boost gauge. It came with an m.i.p/compression fitting connection (like an oil pressure gauge) but I was considering tapping vaccuum at the firewall/log and not the intake. Bad idea?
Not a bad idea. Actually the intake might fluctuate a little faster as the log has more hoses (volume) of air in it. Negligible, but microscopically different.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote