MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
rbatson

Question Boost Gauge

Where is the best place(on the engine) to hook up the boost gauge. Someone told me to hook it up to the plastic vacuum t, all I get is a vacuum reading(no boost).

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold
Old 08-12-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
buddha
Registered Member

You should be reading boost from there. You did check it while the car was moving and under load...right? You won't see any boost reading unless the car is under a load.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 12:38 PM   #3
rbatson

Yeah, tested it. I thought the exact same thing, but that isn't it. The vacuum goes from 10 to 0 but never goes into the boost side of the gauge.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:32 PM   #4
RED92LX50
Registered Member

I may be way off, but I thought Boost only applied to Supercharged or Turbo engines, and that on an NA car your Vacuum would only go to 0 - but you would never have any Boost...I am sure someone who knows will answer!
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
RED92LX50 I may be way off, but I thought Boost only applied to Supercharged or Turbo engines, and that on an NA car your Vacuum would only go to 0 - but you would never have any Boost...I am sure someone who knows will answer!

You are not way off. In fact, you are exactly right. Problem is, Ricks puppy is supercharged.

Rick-
Man, I hate to say it, but unless you've got some trick new system, all sources of manifold vacuum will show any boost you have. Either your gauge is bad, or you're not generating any boost.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 09:29 PM   #6
beast
Registered Member

what type of blower do you have? if you have a powerdyne, your internal belt might be broken.
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:34 AM   #7
PKRWUD

I don't think Rick would be caught dead with a Powerdyne. I believe he has a Vortec.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 08-13-2001, 06:20 AM   #8
rbatson

Thanks guys. I have a vortech a-trim. I got on the mustangworks chat room last night(you should check that out Chris) and was talking to some guys with blowers. Apparently I won't see boost until I'm over 3000rpms, I will check it again this morning on my way to work. I was thinking I'd see boost sooner. I will post wether I got it to work or not. It feels like the blower is working .

Click "My 89lx" to see what I have.

[This message has been edited by rbatson (edited 08-13-2001).]
Old 08-13-2001, 06:45 PM   #9
rbatson

I got it to 4000rpms this morning and it registered only 3psi, I guess its working. I didn't get on it real hard saturday. I thought I'd see boost much sooner than that. I wanted to push it harder this morning, around 6000rpm, but it just gets up in mph too fast now (never thought I'd say that..heeh). I got to get this thing out somewhere where I can push it and see what kinda boost I have.

Right now I have the boost gauge sharing the line with the fmu, I'm thinking of putting the boost line on the intake itself. Maybe that would be more accurate? Anyhow, thanks for the replies!!

P.S. If you have an aod, I strongly recommend the lentech valve body and a non-lockup convertor. Gas mileage will suffer but man does this thing move!!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold
Old 08-13-2001, 08:39 PM   #10
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Glad to hear everything is working properly! But at 6000RPM I don't know that I would be looking over at the Boost Gauge anyway :-)
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:55 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Quote:
I'm thinking of putting the boost line on the intake itself. Maybe that would be more accurate?

Rick, it doesn't matter if you jump in the deep end of the pool, or the shallow end, you're still gonna get wet. Vacuum (and boost) are the same at all vacuum ports that don't have an inline restrictor of some kind (ie: every vacuum hose on the late 70's carbed cars). It also doesn't matter how many items are plumbed into that line. You're fine where you're at. Don't believe me? Try it and see. : )

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-14-2001, 01:10 AM   #12
rbatson

I beliewve you bro, I was thinking about it and just wondering.. Man I'm glad your back!
Old 08-14-2001, 01:39 AM   #13
PKRWUD

Hey man, thinking and wondering are two pretty killer instincts! They lead to learning! I wouldn't know half as much as I do if it wasn't for them!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-14-2001, 01:41 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Just remember:

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet