MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-01-2001, 03:31 AM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question Shifting an Auto???

Usually, when I race in my auto GT, I do nothing more than floor it, and go. I'm wondering if I shifted it manually, would I improve my acceleration & track times? If so, what is the best way to shift it? Last, is this REALLY hard on my tranny? Thanks.

------------------
Black 2000 GT Auto
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.
Ran Once, 14.52@96.57 with a 1.32 R/T & 2.3 60'!!

Red 1994 Mustang Cobra #4343
Pulleys, Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 2 chambers, K&N, short throw shifter.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 06:49 AM   #2
I hate Rice
Registered Member

This was a good post a little while back courtesy dinomite

don't mess with "heating up your tires", on a street tire it does nothing, and on the street, it does even less. if you do go to the drag strip, you should do a quick burnout (1 sec) just to clean off the tires.
you like dancin? you better, cause its time for...The AOD Shuffle!

ok, start by putting your car into 1 (alllll the way down, press the button and put it back). put your left foot on the brake, and use your right foot to bring the revs to ~1000. when you are ready to go (don't sit like that too long, it will burn up your converter) release the brake and slowly depress the throttle. when the revs hit 4800, push the "gear selector lever" up one notch (to the "D" position). the tranny takes about 300 rpm to shift, and once it has fully shifted, and youve waited a second, press the button and pull it BACK to the "1" position. when the revs hit 4800 again, put it in "D" and leave it there. finally, when they hit 4800 put it into "OD", but by that time you will really be movin....i do the entire 1/4 in 2 gears, going just out of the powerband on my 90LX convert.

a stock mustang stops making power at about 5100ish,so given it takes 300 rpm for the anchor to shift, you move the shifter at 4800. your AOD has 4 gears, the "1" position only lets the tranny use first gear, the "D" position lets it use the first 3 (1,2,3 DUH!) and the "OD" position lets it use all 4. the problem is that if you let the transmission shift itself, it does so a few hundred rpm too early, this is worth a couple tenths in the 1/4. the other problem is that you only have a distinct position for 1st gear (the "1" position), and the first 3 (the "D" position). in order to keep it in 2nd gear till the perscribed rpm, you have to bring the shifter back to the "1" position, after letting it shift (by moving it from "1" to "D" and then back to "1"). Cause you have to do so much fancy work, its the aod shuffle. now, be careful when you are shifting into 2nd gear that you put it in the "D" position and leave it there long enough that it is completely done, before you bring it back to "1" otherwise it will downshift to 1st and that would be bad. if you ever feel quesy about doing this, just push the shifter forward as far as you can (WITHOUT pushing the button) and it will stop at "OD".

------------------
97 Mustang GT Convertible
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1858
K&N filter
No silencer
Sidewinder 5000 Alarm

Gotta love Rice cuase they always travel in groups so you can embaress them in front of their buds.

I hate Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:21 PM   #3
bstang46
Registered Member

I got a question. This applies to the new 99-01 mustang right? Ok next, you said shift from 1 to D so do you mean just skipp two or what?
bstang46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 03:16 PM   #4
I hate Rice
Registered Member

somepeople go 1- d- 1-d- it seems to work well, personally going 1-2-d with overdrive off is the easiest and works very well.
I hate Rice is offline   Reply With Quote