MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Question Magnaflow, Good or Crap?

Hey,
If anyone has been paying attention to my recent threads, you will know that I am in an exhaust dilemma. I want to replace my exhaust from the H-pipe back. I was thinking about a mac or bbk H with a dynomax cat back. Now I don't know what the hell I want to do. The more clarity I try to find, the more confused I get.

Now I am hearing about Magnaflow. I want a distinct sound, preferably not Flowmaster because everyone has them. I have never heard Magnaflow in action and was looking for some opinions.

And please, if anyone has any more advice for H-pipes, please let me know. And I already know that I can't afford a Bassani system (even though I would love one). So I need something that isn't going to be that expensive.

Thanks
scottlt79
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
1hot5.0
Registered Member

I love the sound of the Magnaflows! I have also heard that they are to pretty to put on your car because of the mirror stainless steel chrome shine! If you want to hear the magnaflow's in action, you can go here: Magnaflow Mustang Catback (Mustang) and then click on sound. You will be able to hear two sound clips of the maganflow's in action. They are on a 93 GT, but I assume since you have a 5.0, they will sound the same. You can also find pictures of the catback on there. Hope I was able to help. Also, to compare different exhaust sounds, you can go to Mustang Exhaust and go to the sound room.
1hot5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:02 AM   #3
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Hey, thanks alot 1hot5.0.
Anyone else have any experience with the Magnaflow. If you have any opinions, please send them to me. I need to make a decision fast and I like to have several opinions before I make the purchase.
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I was under the impression that Magnaflows were basically straight pipes Maybe I understood incorrectly...?

As for exhaust, I have Slowmasters, and even with my cam, my car sounds like "the typical Mustang". Which of course is not a bad thing, but a distinct sound would be way cooler. I've found that MAC flowpaths are just as deep as Blowmasters, but with a bit more rumble, and more "screamage" at WOT. Borlas sound really nice too, way tame at idle, but loud with a blatty quality at higher RPMs. But with a $500+ price tag for a full catback, it all depends on exactly how much you like the Borla note I have never heard any quality complaints however, so this may be one of those cases that you truly get what you pay for.

As X and H pipes go, I had a Flowpath off road X pipe that was a real ***** to install (didn't fit right) and the sound was pretty quiet. I recently swapped in a BBK off road H pipe, and WOW! Loud as hell, the cam lope is much more distinct, and the install was a piece of cake.

Anyways, that's MY novice advice to yah. I'm sure people will disagree on my choices for exhaust, but I can only offer my limited "experience" and opinions.

Good luck, and you know where to find me on AIM
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:44 PM   #5
daveGT
Registered Member

I have MagnaFlo's on my '88GT. I replaced 2 chamber Flomasters.

The MagnaFlo's are not quite as loud (resonating) as the Flomasters (this was a good thing for me).

They are quiet as stock at idle, but really sound mean when you mash it. I like them better than the Flo's. You can't go wrong.

'94 Lightning:
White, stock except 50 series Flowmasters

'99 GT (wife's):
Chrome yellow, stock with some pretty slick "flame" pinstripes!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #6
Yan88gt
Registered Member

I have mac longtube with off-road h-pipe and magaflow cat-back. Very quiet to 3500 rpm past 3500 they sound like straight pipe and they are loud has 2 chamber flowmaster.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:51 AM   #7
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I have 2 1/2" stainless Magnaflow mufflers with turn downs... they sound just like a Dynomax Ultraflo IMHO. But the Magnaflows are better because the case is fully welded vs. the stainless Ultraflo muffler (I know Dynomax also has the welded ultraflo muffler, but the case dimensions are larger than the other two muffs mentioned... which makes a difference in tone.)

I've installed two Magnaflow cat-back systems (93 Cobra and 87 GT w/ Cobra rear valance) and I'm impressed with the overall quality and ease of installation... really nice kit. And WOW! is it loud @ WOT!!

I ran a 10.70 @ 126 thru the Magnaflow muffs... so they do flow. I've been running open headers at the track...

Have fun!

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote