MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Default Mustang Dead Please help

My Mustang Died last night. I'm tring to think what might have happened I don't know please give me ideas.
Its an 89 mass air with edlebrock performer intake, steeda #19 cam, 65 mm TB, 1.72 Roller rockers full mac exhaust,.
Now I don't think that this was too much for the stock fuel system. but here is what happened

I was runnin though the gears up to 6k and I let off the gas to shift to 4th and got on and it hessitated like it was off( like no gas or no spark) I had it do this before and when it would I would let off the gas and the power would return this time the power left and I did not let off the gas entirely. The car never went back on would not even try starting. just turned over till the battery went dead. I am afraid I cracked a piston from not enough fuel is this likely with a forged pistons. Does anyone know what causes this no power situation when getting back on the gas between shifts. Please give me a clue I don't know what to do. was running strong then bam its dead
289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default troubleshooting...

1. Fuel delivery check:
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you key the ignition?
Do you smell fuel, or is there good pressure indicated on you FPR gauge?

2. Ignition system check
Coil
TFI/Distro
Plugs/Wires

With the hesitation you are describing it sounds like something was on its last leg, and crapped out on you finally.

From the limited info you provided I would guess fuel pump or TFI module. But that is just a guess based on what you have written.

Perhaps you could provide a little more info and maintenance history.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't know alot about the matence cause I only got it 5 months ago. I've changed oil regular and I just installed all the goodies about 3 weeks ago. The fuel pump does prime, is it possible for injectors to just quit. Its got like 95k on the motor but would my tach read out rpm if the ignition was dead cause it was as I coasted to a stop. I guess I'm just paranoid that my engine just froze cause the gas got lean but does this happen on modified stangs with stock heads and fuel and no forced air.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

TFI module
Old 01-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default troubleshooting...

It sounds more and more like TFI to me, especially if you have 95k on the motor.
With your setup, "lean" is almost certainly not suspect. You aren't making that much power.
Do you know how to troubleshoot your ignition system?
Do you have a FPR guage to verify good pressure?
Have you checked your coil?
Have you noticed a "miss" under high load (i.e. high RPM) that becomes more pronounced above 5k RPM?
I assume you have the stock E7 heads and 19 lb injectors?
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info to go on
So the tach will still read even when the TFI is done working.
I do have an electric Fuel Pressure Gauge But it is not hooked up right now.
I had a miss at lower rpms with no load.
And the car would act like it was turning off at high rpms when I got on and off the gas.
THanks for the Ideas so far also the coil is new it is a master blaster from MSD.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes Stock heads and injectors and fuel pump, and pistons. N\A car
Old 01-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
aar0s
Registered Member

are you sure that the motor is geting fuel? could the fuel filter be cloged? if its got 95k on it and your not sure about the mant. you might as well change it. could the cloged filter be causing your lean at high rpm? my car did something of the same but it was the pickup in the distributor would go out when it got hot.
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

I found that im getting no spark, so I changed out the ignition Module. That didn't help. so I'm back.

I checked the main coil on the fender and I am getting 12V, but I'm only getting .3 ohms resistance across the two connector termanils on the coil. A paper that came with the igniton module said if the coil resistance is less then .4 ohms resistance replace is this correct.

IF im not getting spark and I changed the module what should I look at next, and I have an 88 5.0 can I use those ignition parts on my 89 5.0
Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 01:39 AM   #10
stang_racer20
Registered Member

how old are your plugs, wires, cap and rotor. definitely replace the fuel filter if it looks old. a new coil would also be a good idea. if it just died on you like that, its definitely something either electronic or fuel related.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote