MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2002, 10:31 AM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Default Brake mods ( and other first mods) for a 98 Vert

My Dad has a 98 Vert he bought brand new and now that his warranty has run out he is thinking of doing some upgrades ( finally!!!)

The first issue is a brake upgrade. His stock rotors warped, and were turned but are vibrating again. He has 16" summer tires and Blizzaks on the stock 16" ponys so any upgrade that requires 17" rims is out.

He had found some brake pad "green" and power slot rotors on the internet. Are those really worth the upgrade?? Any suggestions for a better braking system that fits with 16" rims??

Any other good first mods for a 98 Vert????

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Unless you are planning on road racing or drag racing why bother upgrading the brakes? Unless you find a good deal for a better braking system on the net, then go for it. A good set of pads and the stock rotors should suffice. I'm no brake expert so I'm sure someone else will answer that part of the Question better. As far as mods, I would go with the gears first, exhaust second, then underdrives, etc... There are alot of ways to go depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

This is a little off topic, but I'll share it anyway in reponse to Surfbeats "why brakes?" question.

There is a Porsche tuner (RUF I believe) whose first upgrade for cars is always brakes. When questioned on the subject he replied, "It worries me when people want to make their cars go faster before getting the ability to stop or turn again. Do they WANT to kill themselves with these cars?"

I've driven a fair number of 911's, and they stop like crazy. But the first mod they do to those cars is make them stop even better.

Makes you think sometimes.

Back on topic, a vert needs structural reinforcements, try a strut tower brace and maybe a bigger sway bar. Try to get some of the flex out of the car.

Then do gears, the heavier car needs it more, and then follow the normal pattern. I would encourage him to do the brakes too, but I'm conservative by nature (bean counter)

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:09 AM   #4
Chevyguy

I figure since his rotors are warped, now would be a good time to do a brake upgrade. I would not normally start at the brakes first, but gotta go with the flow!!

I have the part info he had looked up at home. Those pads are VERY pricey, just wondered if really any benifit.

The funny thing is his 98 vert feels more solid than my 90 LX notch But I can smoke him pretty good, he has the Auto and 3.27 gears??? I gotta pull the codes and I think he still has the window sticker and invoice etc....

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

Old 09-17-2002, 11:31 AM   #5
GaryDawg
Registered Member

If he doesn't already have them... Subframe connectors are the most important first mod for a convertible... Saves the body from tearing over the long run...

Then drop that puppy...

Throw some gears in...

Do your exhaust and then pump up the hp...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Titan
Registered Member

I know you said you have the pony wheels, but look on e-bay or something and get some 17" wheels. Not only do they look better, but you can get the cobra brake kit w/ 17" wheels. I've heard nothing bad about this kit, except the price. But it works, and you get what you pay for...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:51 PM   #7
Chevyguy

He's also got a set of 10 spoke 16"'s with his summer tires, So.. Not likely to switch out two sets of rims/tires for the 13" front brakes. Plus my Dad drives like Mr Magoo sometimes and can use the extra sidewall height

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

Old 09-17-2002, 02:06 PM   #8
Titan
Registered Member

Hehe...

Well then, check out http://reviews.stangnet.com and look at the section on brakes. I don't konw if it will help, but you can look at other people's opinions.

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 PM   #9
Bob98GT
Registered Member

i've driven a GT that had the a cobra brake system on it. after getting used to the cobra brakes, my stock GT brakes seem like poo. i'm seriously considering a brake upgrade before i do anymore power mods. you might be able to find some stuff in junk yards, but the cobra rotors might require 17+inch wheels, i'm not sure.

a question for the rest of you: are the brakes on the GT the same as on the V-6's?

98 GT

K&N cold air intake
Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers
3.73's
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
Bob98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:36 AM   #10
Titan
Registered Member

the cobra brake system does require 17" rims...the front rotors are vented 13". It also requires $1700 + install (if you don't do it yourself...the instructions are shibby, would not recommend if you didn't know what you're doing).

not sure about the other ?, but my guess would be yes. I can't really see ford going out of their way to make a new upgrade for such a factory car (ford's cool like that...)

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-19-2002, 09:01 AM   #11
Chevyguy

Well I checked out the stangnet info then ended up at the Baer site www.baer.com

Turns out they have quite a number of systems for the 96 up stangs. The one that caught my eye was the 12" front rotor system with the PBR 2 piston calipers. That would fit with the 16" rims and would be a significant upgrade over the stock 11" rotors/calipers. There were some monster systems 13 - 15" with Alcon 4 and 6 piston calipers too
Some models offered rotor/pad upgrades can't remember if they listed the 96 up models.

More food for thought, eh.

P.S. they had up to 15" rotors avail for my Chevelle Now my gears are turning.

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

Old 09-19-2002, 10:03 AM   #12
Titan
Registered Member

ya, Baer brake systems are awesome...they look really good, too. My local performance shop has some...I so want those, but--no money. I hear baer are the best around, though. I think that site had them rated at 10.00. If you got the money, go for it...

Mods = Stuff