MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-02-2002, 12:42 PM   #1
CADreamin
Registered Member

Default breaking into own car

I have a 98 GT with power locks. This morning I got up early to do something important at work. It's cold here in western PA, and I started up the car, locked the key inside, and went in to get a cup of coffee before going on my way.

Well, I come to find out that the keyless entry apparently does not function when the key is in the car and/or ignition. Let's just get this out of the way now: yes, it was early in the morning and I am an idiot.

Didn't have time to wait on AAA, so I had to improvise. I wedged a small piece of wood in the northeast corner of the driver side window, and used a flexible straightedge (like they sell at Home Depot) to hit the unlock button. That problem was solved.

However, I now have two other problem I need advice on. First, the window glass on the driver side does not sit flush with the weatherstripping now. I can fix it by rolling the window up and down a few times, or by pushing the glass in from outside the car. What should I look toward for a permanent fix? Is it possible the tracks inside the door are bent? Do I need to disassemble the door and put new or salvage tracks in?

Second, the weatherstripping between the A-pillar, roof, B-pillar, and window glass is chunked. Anyone have any idea of the cost if available from Ford? Any good dealers with an on-line parts catalog?

If anyone has had a similar problem I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks...

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:47 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

Not that this matters now, but my friend did the same thing and I used a coat hanger to remove the keys from the ignition and then held them up to the window sill and hit the unlock button with another coat hanger, no chunking of the weatherstripping or bending of the tracks, so if it happens next time.....Weather stripping is available from lots of people though, Ford might charge you an arm and leg, but check with them ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:04 AM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing! Who knew the damn keypad would not work while the key is in and the car is running? anyway, you should be able to find the strip from a wrecked stang near you or try MPS online. Also lots of places to buy them new. The window just might be tweaked a bit on the track or the place where you adjust the fit. Take it apart and look at it, maybe take it to a shop to see what they can do. should not be to costly if you fix most of it yourself. alot less than a locksmith!
Old 12-03-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
CADreamin
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice guys...I guess there's some comfort in knowing I'm not the only person who's ever done this!

First order of business is I'm going to have a few new keys made up and keep them around the house. I may have to make do for a while as far as taking the door apart and looking for the problem, though. Like I said, it's pretty cold here right now...

Thanks again

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
Janeofalltrades

Default Glad we all know how to break into our cars!

Well thanks guys...You just solved one of my worst nightmares. {But you also gave very good advice on how to bust into our Stangs....Now as long as no one breaks in WHILE your inside getting your coat hanger or Slim Jim, we're OK... }

All joking aside, thanks really.....Great tricks.

Jenn