MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2000, 10:34 PM   #1
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Post burning plugs & wires?

My father has a 95 Cougar with a 4.6 that keeps missing. We changed the plugs and wires and it went away for about a month then came back again. I changed the plugs and put in motorsport copper instead of the cheap platinums and it got much better but still misses under load occasionally. Sorry for the long post, but does anybody have a clue why it keeps missing? Thanks

------------------
92 Rag top GT
Mac long tube headers w/hi flo cats, Force 2 catback,Pro 5.0, Pulleys,K&N, Alum DS, Subs,3.73`s and Nitto DR`s

Holley systemax kit collecting dust in closet
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2000, 09:06 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Smile

The first thing that pops into my head is whether the wires needed to really be changed... I would put the original wires back on and see if the vehicle drives the same as the "new" wires. If so, there are three options in my mind:
1. There could be a seating problem (maybe due to vibration?) where the wire boots connect to the plug or engine assembly (no longer a distributor in my car)
2. There could be something actually degrading one of the wires. (Which cylinder is missing?)
3. There might be a problem BEFORE the wires. Mod motors don't seem to have true distributors anymore, so I don't exactly know what the assembly is called that delivers the power to the wires....don't you love tecnology ;-)

I would re-seat all the wires on both ends with a good dab of dielectric for the plugs.
If it doesn't fix the issue, try to find the offending cylinder and replace the wire.
If still a no go, you're not getting the current through the wire when you need it, and that comes before the wires themselves.

Hope this helps...
(i.e. Hammer is not a mechanic, and all comments are his own slanted opinions..;-)

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote