MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-02-2002, 09:22 PM   #1
ShadowInTheNite
Registered Member

Default Buying A 2000 GT..Have questions...

I am looking to buy a 2000 GT convertible.(I have a V6 now)..I took it for a test drive and the "service engine soon" light was on and stayed on. The car ran BEAUTIFULLY.....I asked the salesman what it could be...and...another salesman other that the one I was dealing with said..."It could be the gas cap is not on properly" or it could have been filed with gas with the engine running...also an o2 sensor...or..a "number" of things. It has me wondering because the car runs so good....it is pristine condition..with 38K miles on it. Its a 5 speed stick shift..if that matters. Should I be weary of this...look into a different car? Also..one other thing...after driving it a while..( I have it for a couple of days) I noticed that the clutch pedal tires out my leg..does this get easier over time? lol or does it get worse? (I know...dumb question..lol)
Thanks for any help~!

Lori
ShadowInTheNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
Toppchef
Registered Member

I find it absolutely absurd what that salesman told you. Either filling an engine w/ gas while it's on or the gas cap not being se cure are both ridiculous. I'm not a big grease monkey, I'm a body guy, but I will tell you one thing that sounds ridiculous!!! As for the car, do you have a mechanic or car-smart friend that could check it out for you?
Toppchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

LMAO um I think the sales man was smokin something because I have a 99 and I always leave the motor running when putting in gas .... I know I am not suppose too but I do and I have never had that problem. Gas cap hmmmmmm I don't see how that would make a difference either. One question did it have a after market cd player or alarm or anything like that in it?? Because someone might have been messing with the wiring and it could be something easy to fix!

See Ya,
Karen

1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #4
Illini
Registered Member

Is this a regular ford dealership or a used car lot? If it's a ford dealership I'd think for the sake of selling a car they could hook it up to a scanner and pull the codes to determine the problem. seeing how it's used , the ses light could be a bad o2 sensor or the previous owner might have put on an offroad pipe and didn't get the mil eleminator(does away with the ses light). The gas cap could be loose and that could cause the light to come on, but thats easy to fix, just check it. But the "car could have been filled while it was running" excuse is crap. I do that all the time and the only thing mine does is take a while for the fuel needle to come up, 5-10 minutes, instantly if you turn the car off. As far as the clutch pedal pressure goes, thats fairly subjective. My pedal feels light to me but I'm used to manuals that are in heavy duty applications, it might feel heavy to you and light for me. Have a friend that is more experienced test drive to see if it's you or the pedal is really firm. If it's is firm it could have an aftermarket clutch( most performance clutches are heavy) in it or the cable/quadrant could be rubbing( eating through the outer sheath). I doubt that since it has so few miles on it. No flame intended but I suspect that it's probably just you. My girl's eclipse's clutch could be manipulated by a 5 yr old. If your used to something like that the stang's clutch would seem heavy> What ever you do don't buy it until they pull codes for the ses light. Good luck.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:19 PM   #5
BryantD
Registered Member

Default Engine Light

I have a 2002 GT (with 5-speed) and my engine light came on a month after I bought it new. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the gas cap. No problems since; so it could be the gas cap.
Novi 1000 with Paxton Air to Air Intercooler
Delta Chip (Tuned by Reinhart Automotive)
38lb Injectors
90mm Lightning MAF (threaded IAT sensor for Lightning and IAT plug from '93 Taurus wiring harness) relocated between the blower & throttle body
255lph Fuel Pump
Autometer A-Pillar (Dual) with Vacuum/Boost Gauge & Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge
Motorcraft AWSF22C sparkplugs (.030 gap)
Bassani X-Pipe with Cats
Dyno #'s: 328.4rwhp & 340.9rwtq
BryantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Really BryantD that is crazy!! I havent heard of that maybe ford needs to do a recall???!!!??

See Ya,
Karen
SQ Goddess
Old 09-02-2002, 10:48 PM   #7
Illini
Registered Member

Default Hey shelby

When I picked up my stang in dec last year the dealer warned me that if the gas cap isn't on all the way the ses light will come on. I'm thinking what an a#@clown, well low and behold when I got home I looked in my manual and there it is, something about it. "If the gas cap is not screwed on properly the service engine soon light will come on. To fix unscrew the cap and screw on correctly, light will turn off." Blew my mind; that people that can't put on a gas cap actually have a license. Really scary.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:56 PM   #8
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Wow well since two have already said the gas cap I would check that first that is still weird I wonder why the 2000 are like that and not the 99!!!???!! Or are they????

See Ya,
Karen
SQ Goddess
Old 09-02-2002, 11:25 PM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

dont buy it till they do a full computer ck, sounds like bs too me, my uncle was a car salesman, he taught me the trick's, my 00 has never had the ck engine light come on, even after i bought some crap gas, & it wouldnt start 4 x in a row till i held the pedal down, makes you wonder why it was traded in????

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #10
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Actually a gas cap not secured properly could cause a Check engine light. It usually shows up as a major EVAP leak because there is a fuel tank pressure sensor in the tank. It atleast happens on all of the Mercedes cars I work on. It is just another check to keep vapors from entering the atmosphere.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 AM   #11
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

When in doubt, check the codes....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:45 AM   #12
ShadowInTheNite
Registered Member

Thanks to ALL who responded to my question~! This site rocks~!
I DID look at my boyfriend when the salesman said that it could be the gas cap....and said ...Hummmm....ok...now I think I have heard EVERYTHING~! LOL But I guess from your responses...the dealer was right. They did agree to check the engine on it...along with a few other things that I requested....the only thing they wouldn't agree on is that there is no boot for the convertible top....so..I guess I have another question...what do they go for?
I think they should just get one for it..since they come with one if ya buy a new car...we'll see what happens..lol
If I don't buy this one..I AM definately getting a V8..I have a 2000 V6 now..and the question was...to either mod this one out...or get the V8....I think in comparison...no matter what I do to the V6....I am going to want a V8...there is no comparison~! LOL
Thanks again to all~! I'll let ya know what happens :0)

Lori
Old 09-03-2002, 08:11 AM   #13
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

A loose or defective gas cap WILL cause the check engine lite to come on, but should reset the codes in a short time after the system is sealed.

You should have the dealer run the codes and repair as necessary. It could very well be something very simple. Request them to make sure the car meets all factory emission requirements, even if your area does not require emissions tests. You should also request a copy of the read-out for your records.

Good luck with your new car!
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 02:08 PM   #14
SheDevil
Registered Member

Lori... Get the V8!!! It's a better base to do any mods to and also to just keep stock. And speaking as another female, you'll love the attention! I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years but still love the double takes I get when I pull up next to a car load of guys. They turn right around in their seats. Knowing that you could easily beat the pants of those stupid rice rockets is an added bonus.
As for the engine light, a gas cap that's not closed properly would do that, and it might even take a couple trips for it to turn off. If I were you, since you have it a couple days wait to see if it turns off on it's own (while you still have it). If it does, you'll know they weren't bullshitting you. If it doesn't, that must mean something else is wrong...
SheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 02:27 PM   #15
ShadowInTheNite
Registered Member

I know what ya mean about the looks..lmao..I got em before in the V6..but...woah..now with the V8...hahaha..its sweet~! Most guys don't expect a woman in a V-8..nevermind blowing em off the road.
I'm not so sure about the beating the crotch rockets tho..some of them are VERY fast....big power/weight difference too. I ride my boyfriends custom V-twin cruiser.....I like my bikes in cruiser mode..but my car...fast and furious..lol

Lori
Old 09-03-2002, 11:56 PM   #16
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowInTheNite
I know what ya mean about the looks..lmao..I got em before in the V6..but...woah..now with the V8...hahaha..its sweet~! Most guys don't expect a woman in a V-8..nevermind blowing em off the road.
I'm not so sure about the beating the crotch rockets tho..some of them are VERY fast....big power/weight difference too. I ride my boyfriends custom V-twin cruiser.....I like my bikes in cruiser mode..but my car...fast and furious..lol

Lori
if you get the v - 8, you will fry rice, i promise.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:32 PM   #17
SheDevil
Registered Member

Crazy Horse it right. That's if they even have the balls to race you. I find that when I pull up next to a ricer, they all of a sudden see something very interesting in the other direction and won't even look at me. That, or they make sure to get behind me. It's far too embarassing to get beat by a girl in a nicer car and faster car.
SheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote