MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
96_4.6
Registered Member

Default Got my c&l plenum!! I'll try to run tests on a 96gt, worth getting a 70mm TB now??

Finally got my C&L plenum and they strongly suggest a 70mm TB or 75mm but OF COURSE all tests were ran on 99+ gt's with the PI heads of course but I wanted one anyway and they claim the main reason a bigger throttlebody provides no gains was due to the poor design of the stock upper plenum. So I'm debating if I should get a 70mm tb, I plan on getting PI heads later proberly much later in the future and I'm running there 80mm MAF and powerpipe and now there plenum so the rule is my heads cant handle that much airflow so a bigger TB is overkill. The mac ones on ebay are really cheap so if you were me would you get the 70 with the new plenum combo or just say you got it for looks kid lol As long as the combo would gain HP not lose I'd be down with it, thanks and also by tests I meant my g-tech lol but I always trust the experts around here

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

IMO a 70mm TB would only slow you down my LX is stout as hell and runs better with a 65mm than it does with a 70mm.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Considering that most of the restriction is in the lower intake, I hardly see the worth of the C&L uppper and bigger TB. Your money can be better spent other places. But if you're hell bent on setting it up, go with the 70mm. The 65mm flows good to ~350HP, so the 70 is more than plenty.
BTW - you might want to skip the shorty headers and go to a long tube.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
96_4.6
Registered Member

Money is tight, I go through like 5 auctions on ebay til I find really cheap stuff if I go to longtubes I need to buy them and a new mid-pipe and I got that c&l upper for really cheap on ebay brand new cheaper then from C&L with free shipping, same with the shorties, I wasnt looking for this stuff but when I come across something thats so much below the price advertised I just have a habit of buying it. I know 65 flows enough but the combo is with the 70 and I dont want to lose anything, god I'm turning into an ad boy Some guy at the local performance shop told me they just came out with a new lower intake for the 96-98 anyone hear anything about that?

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:58 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91LX2Bfast
Considering that most of the restriction is in the lower intake, I hardly see the worth of the C&L uppper and bigger TB. Your money can be better spent other places. But if you're hell bent on setting it up, go with the 70mm. The 65mm flows good to ~350HP, so the 70 is more than plenty.
BTW - you might want to skip the shorty headers and go to a long tube.
not worth anything I find that hard to believe when i picked over a full mph with it I was running 101.1-101.3 before (I have slips to prove this over 20 runs at this mph and from the same night I swapped the plenum) after I swapped the plenum in the staging lanes I ran 102.4

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

explicitone - I was referring to his setup, not yours. Your PI lower intake has revisions that help it flow more air at higher rpm as compared to his NPI intake. So when you open upper intake up on a PI, the engine gets the extra air because the lower flows equally as well.
The NPI intake is really bad...it's worse internally than it looks. Tiny port cross-section really kills airflow at ~4500 rpm. So even if his upper can flow more, the lower is still a choking point. Anyone that has put a set of ported heads on with the stock NPI intake has learned that the HP curve goes flat at ~4200-4500rpm. The lower intake kills airflow.

96_4.6 - Fox lake is soon to be realeasing a new intake. It looks A LOT like the intake setup AED uses in their blower kits. They are claiming a 24HP gain, but that means nothing if you lose 30 ft lbs of torque at the low end. They claim the runners are longer then they appear, but we'll just have to wait and see.
See pics here
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91LX2Bfast
explicitone - I was referring to his setup, not yours. Your PI lower intake has revisions that help it flow more air at higher rpm as compared to his NPI intake. So when you open upper intake up on a PI, the engine gets the extra air because the lower flows equally as well.
The NPI intake is really bad...it's worse internally than it looks. Tiny port cross-section really kills airflow at ~4500 rpm. So even if his upper can flow more, the lower is still a choking point. Anyone that has put a set of ported heads on with the stock NPI intake has learned that the HP curve goes flat at ~4200-4500rpm. The lower intake kills [/URL]
I see your point I misunderstood your post

I am just sick of people bashing mods that they dont have and have never used just because so and so said its no worth it so then they start spreading things they know nothing about

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
96_4.6
Registered Member

Yea I know I need some PI heads but once again buying them is one thing then its gonna cost a lot to have them installed just like my headers, got them for cheap and its gonna cost alot to have them installed. I've been asking around hoping to find a friend with a hook-up to do my headers like 100 bucks or somethin I'd do but the PI heads would be alot to have installed I just know it. Funny thing though, had my stang for more then a year now and have still never seen 4500 or above anyhow hehe been to 4000 I think but never really put the pedal to the floor yet I will when I do my g-tech test like 0-60 and 1\4, thanks for the input. I guess I'll hold off on the 70 but still put the plenum on.

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat