MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CAI - Worth the $$$ (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48049)

Narshadda 03-13-2006 03:52 PM

CAI - Worth the $$$

I hate even skirting this subject since I can imagine it is a largely debated topic but, here is my question...

I removed the Air Silencer and replaced my stock filter with a K&N filter. I left the stock intake arm (tube) on. What kind of gains would purchasing a CAI give me? I can understand how some people feel a difference and others don't(Each Car is different) , but does anyone have any reference to say what dyno numbers a CAI actually produced?

They look way cool, but I don't think spending $150 or so is justified by 2-3 HP.

Any thoughts?

-Narsh

2001GTPEWTER 03-14-2006 09:39 AM

Re: CAI - Worth the $$$

Dyno numbers, no. But I have a cold-air intake and K&N filter...The air intake though is an aluminum copy of K&N's product, even so I got a louder exhaust and a noticeable change in acceleration at high RPM. CAIs' are I think for those of us not ready to spend $4000 on a supercharger and power pipe.

Narshadda 03-14-2006 10:08 AM

I felt a change by just taking out the Air Silencer and changing the filter.
But the only way I see the CAI making more of a difference is if it brought a bigger MAF.
If anyone has any info to shine some light on the subject, I would definitely appreciate it.

2001GTPEWTER 03-14-2006 05:27 PM

At first, I bought a large K&N air filter to attach to my stock intake, but when I got the cold air unit it was too big, so I had to use a smaller K&N filter and route the system back down thru the air dam where it was originally. I hated to give up the big filter but the difference in performance (however little you can get with just a CAI) was noticeable. The CAI will also save your gas mileage a little, cold air compresses more easily which translates into more horsepower and less labor on the engine.

Hammer 03-14-2006 08:36 PM

Nar,
You've got the right idea... K&N filter and take the silencer off....

Honestly, you might notice a small difference at high RPM, but it probably won't be more than the average 2 to 3 rwhp....

You would notice more of a tangible improvement by going full aftermarket induction (CAI, T/B, MAF), but it is expensive for the power you would gain.

If these are your first mods, there are better bangs for the buck such as 3.73s and a short shifter (if manual)

P.C. 03-14-2006 10:40 PM

Hi Narsh.I have the Mac straight shot.It came with the bigger billit mass air meter.It makes a all around noticable difference.Compared to the stock rubber hose.If you look in the stock piece you will see a restrictive section 4 inches from the throttle body.The stock mass air is weak too.Ford is known for restrictions on lots of their parts!I read a test on hooker long tube headers gave 37 more hsp than stock manifolds on a 4.6! But they aint cheap.nor is the install.

2001GTPEWTER 03-15-2006 11:18 AM

Geez, Hooker Headers'...We handle them at FedEx..someone please tell these people that copper staples DON'T HOLD!!

Narshadda 03-15-2006 01:58 PM

Thanks again guys,
I was looking at the complete kit, but it is close to the price of a Gear set.
I think I have a pretty good plan of what to do next but thanks so much for your replies.

-Narsh