MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
pedley
Registered Member

Default where to set timming???

i have an 88 gt
with f cam, under drives,ported stock intake,ported and shaved heads,8.5 taylor wires, my timming is set at 14 now but i have power hesatation in some gears and some of the time i think it might be my timming set to hight or to low but not sure what it should be set at?
anything will help
THANKS
pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:41 AM   #2
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

14 sounds right, i would set the timing at say 10 and see what it does and than maybe like 17 and see what it does(just watch for detonation with high timing)to rule out a timing issue. A power hesitation....as in it just bogs and than cleans up, it has a hesitation and lower rpm, it loses power when a certain rpm is reached? A little more info could be helpfull as to what is wrong, there are a lot of variables to look at when there is a hesitation?
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
pedley
Registered Member

Default timming??

i forgot say that it does back fire alot would that be high timming or not high enough.

well it will bog out and then in about 2 seconds later its almost like nos you just feel all the power most of the time it does it in low rpm??
pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:50 PM   #4
TMASTER
Registered Member

Do you have mass air?
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

A back firing or popping would probably be retarded timing. Check to make sure the spout connector is in, without that in the computer will not advance timing. Low rpm hesitation sounds like it could be running rich which might also explain the backfiring. If you hold it to the floor from a dead stop does it bog or sound like it wants to die? If it does than i would say it is rich, if it dosent bog, but feels powerless and than cleans up and goes i would say a lean condition, which either means the computer is not firing the injectors correctly or there is a bad injector not giving it enough fuel or a weak fuel pump or fuel filter.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

ok i went and searched posts to see what was similar to my noise that is occuring sometimes. MY car seems to make a pop pop noise when it is cold only and under load. i can accelerate steadily slowly and be ok with it not popping. it doesnt pop at all when it is warmed up and running for a while. my timing is set about 15. this has nothing to do with the nitrous that is installed. this was happening without it installed and the nitrous works great. any thought? should i retard the timing to 10 or 12? this may or may not be associated with this problem, BUT it seems to have tons of juice from 3000 and above. getting up there isnt slow, but not as powerful from 3 grand and beyond. maybe it is the set up of the motor. thanks,

jim

if it is running rich or lean, what can i do to help? thanks
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:30 AM   #7
Milt 92GT
Registered Member

Not saying this is your problem but...

My Mustang had started doing these popping noises when cold and in between shifts (higher rpm shifts)..

It also felt like it was bogged down from stop signs all the way to about 3K rpm...then it would open right up...

Turned out to be my ignition coil...I swapped it out with a plain old parts store coil and BINGO..everything was right with the world again.

Just a thought if you haven't checked it out yet-Milt
BBK ceramic shorties
Tokico Shocks and Struts
Eibach Pro-kit springs
PA Performance 3G alt
MarkVIII Fan
Milt 92GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default bogging

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jimmy__d
this may or may not be associated with this problem, BUT it seems to have tons of juice from 3000 and above. getting up there isnt slow, but not as powerful from 3 grand and beyond. maybe it is the set up of the motor. thanks,

jim
Not sure about your popping noise...but the reason why it's not as impressive getting up to 3 grand...as it is after 3 grand is because your motor is made to make all of it's power after 3000 rpms. I have a similare engine as you, except an Edelbrock set up and mine does the same. There isn't a ton of torque off idle but my 3.73 gears get you up into the powerband plenty quick. The big valves and cam are designed to make the majority of the power on the top end of the RPM range, not the bottom. I guess that's the price you pay for performance. Good luck with the popping...not sure what that could be?? Have you checked all the basic things like cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.?