MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
00stang
Registered Member

Default Cams or Gears?

Hello,
I am trying to figure out what mod to do next to my 00 gt convertible with an Auto tranny. with 90,000 miles on it, it runs pretty strong, but not strong enough to leave some (it does spank a lot) of these new cars in the dust. I eventually want to tear the whole car apart and put a built cobra block with twin turbos in it, but until I buy a new house I need a quick fix for speed! So cams or Gears are my question. I am pretty good with working on mustangs ( I own a 66 and 68 coupe with 302s), however, i have no experience with the new mod motors. I have a semi- stupid friend who did his own cam installation and he had a few problems (all because he's stupid), so I am pretty confident in tearing the engine down to put in new cams. Although I have been told gears are the best bang for the buck. I would go with 3.90s, but I was given an estimate for $400 to install them at JPC racing. This seems super expensive for gears, right?

Any one know af any good places to take my car to get the gears installed in the Baltimore, Md area?

Mods: C&L MAF/CAI, and SLP loud mouth x pipe and cat back (super loud!), SCT Xcal 2 programmer with 93 oc tune.
00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

Default Re: Cams or Gears?

if that $400 is the gears and installation then it's a good price. i'm not sure about correcting your speedometer. might have to ask about that also.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

I'd go with the gears, but I'd go 4.10 minimum 4.30 or 4.56 would be my choice. You can adjust for the gear change with the xcal.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
00stang
Registered Member

Yeah, I can definitely calibrate the speedometer with the Xcal 2.

The $400 was just for labor, not including the installation kit, gears, or fluid.

I was told it would be safe for me to go with 4.10 with the automatic, but I would lose gas mileage. Since I do drive it everyday, and on the highway, I think 3.90s would be the happy medium to go with.
00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00stang View Post
Yeah, I can definitely calibrate the speedometer with the Xcal 2.

The $400 was just for labor, not including the installation kit, gears, or fluid.

I was told it would be safe for me to go with 4.10 with the automatic, but I would lose gas mileage. Since I do drive it everyday, and on the highway, I think 3.90s would be the happy medium to go with.

you wont lose much MPG if you keep your foot out of it..... I have 4.10s cams and a blower and I still get 20+MPG highway and around 18 city (skip shifting)

I would go with the gears.... as for the price thats around what i paid but then a again my gears now have 35k and over 350 passes at the drag strip and they have no signs of wear

my buddy went cheap a few times on going with halfass installers and he is on his 3rd gears set because he keeps breaking the ring gear.. ( I am making more power as well)

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
mlsataec
Mlsataec

Thumbs up Re: Cams or Gears?

Definitely go with the gears. I would say a 4.10 would be noticeably better thatn the 3.90, but you must consider where you are driving. I too have a '00 GT Convertible, but I have a 5 speed. I went with a 3.90 gear and am very satisfied. I also bought the Superchips tuner (mostly to correct the speedo) and set it to the performance level. Definite noticeable increase in HP. I chose the 3.90 gear because I do alot of freeway driving and at 70 to 80 MPH in OD I'm running about 2,600 RPM. That's about as high an RPM I would want to sustain for long periods of time and not decrease the life of my motor too much. But who am I trying to fool? I can't keep my foot out it. I really like the acceleration I've gotten on the freeway in 4th gear above 60 MPH.
mlsataec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsataec View Post
Definitely go with the gears. I would say a 4.10 would be noticeably better thatn the 3.90, but you must consider where you are driving. I too have a '00 GT Convertible, but I have a 5 speed. I went with a 3.90 gear and am very satisfied. I also bought the Superchips tuner (mostly to correct the speedo) and set it to the performance level. Definite noticeable increase in HP. I chose the 3.90 gear because I do alot of freeway driving and at 70 to 80 MPH in OD I'm running about 2,600 RPM. That's about as high an RPM I would want to sustain for long periods of time and not decrease the life of my motor too much. But who am I trying to fool? I can't keep my foot out it. I really like the acceleration I've gotten on the freeway in 4th gear above 60 MPH.

it wont hurt the motor... and a 3.90 to a 4.10 is only about 150rpm

I have driven my car for 4 hour trips with cams a blower and 4.10s turning 3000rpm and has never missed a beat

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
collinjay71
NOS Pony

I would definitely go with the gears and depending on how fast you like to drive 4.10's would be a better choice for an automatic. It would be better to do the gears before the cams so you will be able to use the extra rpm the cams provide. Also since you will lose some low end torque with the cams the lower gears will help with that.
collinjay71 is offline   Reply With Quote