MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2001, 10:52 PM   #1
M635Csi
Registered Member

Angry Can anyone save my 4.6 cobra?

I am losing my car (+mind +budget) The car has been sitting for weeks now because the damn procharger installation won't work. The set-up seems to fry my computer. The original one was replaced at the shop one day after final dyno. I fried the second one at home after 30 minutes of driving.

Could anyone let me know what's going on before I replace the second one and subsequently fries the third one (they are like $280 a piece)

M635Csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 11:49 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

What all did the proCarger kit include? Forgive me I'm not to knowlegable yet on the items included in certian kits.

Is there a Chip that your putting in the computer?
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 12:28 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Unhappy

You should be able to use the stock computer with the Procharger kit. I really can't see how it would be "destroying" your computer by itself.

What other mods have you done?
Are you changing out your injectors?
Have you reprogrammed your MAF?
Is your computer throwing any codes before it blows up?
Have you spoken with Procharger? and what did they tell you?

Are you using a custom tuned chip?
It could be an issue with the tune itself...

Need more info...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
Ricer 1: What the heck was that!?
Ricer 2: I don't know. It looked kind of like a yellow SN95 Mustang.
Ricer 1: Nah, fast SN95 Mustangs don't exist... Must have been a mirage or something...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:30 PM   #4
M635Csi
Registered Member

Car is bone stock save for the procharger sc installation. It is a separate chip that comes with the kit. 40# injectors, Lightning mass air meter. Computer say's TROM as an error code (or was it TRAM). Help me out guy's
Old 06-07-2001, 01:00 AM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, if it was me, I'd be in HOURLY communication with Procharger about the problem.

The funny thing is, I don't remember a chip coming with my kit. (although admittedly the kits are different)

What is Procharger saying about the issue?
I would also find out what code TRAM\TROM means. Its probably going to be a big clue about what's going on...

Have you asked whether its safe to use the stock computer for a while for troubleshooting purposes?
Could you possibly use another after-market chip?

Theoretically, its REALLY hard to fry a chip on a vehicle due to all of the safety fuses in the harness. Are we positive that it is a chip that's dying? What does the car do when it goes south?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 10:52 PM   #6
M635Csi
Registered Member

The problem is that I am sitting in between ATI and their dealer (that I selected to install the kit).

The shop/dealer put on larger injectors 42# (36# recalibrated to 42#), did not use the FMU, used a lightning mass air meter. The stock procharger chip (autologic) has been custom reprogrammed by the dealer to fit this installation. The car ran fine on the dyno and fuel curves looked great.

A couple of day's thereafter the dealer took the car for a live test/clean up before delivery and the check engine light came on.

Apparently, the car would not idle correctly, stalls and does not perform well at all.

I had to pay for a new computer because I was told that TRAM/TROM? error code actually meant that a circuit was gone. Unfortunately the dealer said that it was impossible to prove why the computer broke. So I guess he did not want to pay for it and neither did ATI.

New computer, new chip and the car was picked up by me on trailer. Everything was fine until I took her out for a maiden voyage when after 25 min of driving the check engine light came on again. Same as previously described by the dealer. Poor idling characteristics, it stalls and does not perform well.

I get a new chip from ATI, through the shop that put the custom program on the chip again.

I tried the chip in my broken computer? (supposedly the same error).Result; high idle 900-1100 rpm, goes up and down. Can't drive the car. Misfires and has no power. back in the garage again.

The shop/dealer talks to ATI. Recommended solution; a new chip from ATI will be sent to me and guess what... you by a new computer and hopefully it will work???!!! (computer virus?).

I do not like to keep on buying new computers. Help!