MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-16-2002, 02:04 PM   #1
StangGT02
Registered Member

Default can a stock 02 GT handle 9-10PSI of boost from a S/C?

i just wasnt sure if an automatic transmission could handle that much boost, im positive though it can handle the 6-8 but the price is so close on both S/Cers
StangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:31 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The auto is good for at least 400HP. I would be more concerned with the reliability of the short block's components.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:28 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

What blowers are you looking at?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
StangGT02
Registered Member

1) P/N 4FL218-060SQ
Supercharging System with V-2 SQ & Aftercooler for 2000-2002 4.6 Mustang GT
Made by Vortech.

2)NOVI-1000 System for 2001 4.6L Ford Mustang GT (the fact that its for a 2001 and not 2002 is a little concerning though)

3)NOVI-2000 System for 2000 4.6L Ford Mustang GT (same issue with this one as the one above, only the novi-2000 isnt listed for anything newer.)

4)Any others you would recommend would be appreciated, only thing is I'm wanting to get it all at once and go with a big power adder instead of bolt on stuff every couple weeks, over and over. Im wanting the whole system including an intercooler or aftercooler which ever it comes with.

Srry bout not replying for awhile campus firewall skrews up every message board I go to. Ugh.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

91LX is correct.
The tranny will probably take it for a while better that the short block.

I've seen guys runnin 9-10 lbs of boost OK for a while, but eventually it gets nasty, and its time to pull the engine...

I'm a big believer in the 8lb boost limit for centrifugal blowers on near-stock (ie no engine work) setups. I've had mine for over 2 years now runnin day in and day out. Not even a hiccup....

I would go with either the Vortech with aftercooler or a Procharger with intercooler. Both have proven records on the street and track, and my experience with the Procharger has been quite good overall.

The key is to get a good tune and don't get too greedy!!
Old 10-20-2002, 01:22 PM   #6
StangGT02
Registered Member

Do you think it would do much harm to the engine considering how much im going to be driving it? Chances are I will never take it to the strip, is more of an everyday car for city driving with the occasional small race on the highway (srry but when you see an exhaust 2x the size of the muffler on a honda you just have to show em theyre doing something wrong )
Old 10-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Have you looked into any roots type blowers?
You can get an intercooled Saleen setup for around $3200, and that'll give you great low end for the city driving, but it still adds ~90-100hp ( or so says Saleen) on a stock engine for those pesky imports. Check out this post for info on it if you are interested:

Saleen blower
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:23 PM   #8
white2002gt
Registered Member

Dont worry about your tranny, worry about your plastic intake with 9 to 10 psi.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Theoretically, the "updated" intakes for 99+ are more reliable, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it go running around 10 psi....
Old 10-24-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

I have a 02 GT M5 with a Procharger stage II w/ a 3 core intercooler. I will admit whe I first put it on I was a bit disapointed but when I started racing brand new vettes and leaving them in the dust I started to get cocky. I've had the sytem for about 5 months and haven't been beaten yet. So it is fast, the only problem I'm having now is that my intank fuel pump, (that's required when putting out over 400HP) bucks (bounces) under partial acceleration, it is very annoying and is really pissing me off, I also hear that vortec has better customer service, but thats just what I hear. I raced a 01 mustang GT with a vortec running 8lbs (same as me) and my car was faster. I don't know if I'm a better driver than the other guy or what, but I do hear that the procharger runs a little better. If I was you I would get a procharger running 8psi with the 3core intercooler. Omit the fuel pump they give you and save $185 then go out and buy the 2003 Cobra fuel pump, wich I hear won't buck like the one I have, you will probably have to get a custom chip because you are a 2002, Last time I check procharger didn't have anything for the 02s. Have the chip programed for 8psi like me, and when you feel like going out and really smoking some people slap on a 12psi pulley and pour in a few gallons of 100 octane and as long as its cool outside, my god, you will fly. I hope this helps, and I could also use some help with my intanke fuel pump issue, if anyone has a solution please let me know. Thanks a lot, and think before you race, there are some wreckles people out there. I could careless about you getting hurt, I just don't want to give the sport a bad rep. J/K

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:17 AM   #11
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

I've got a 12psi pulley in the mail, so I guess I'm going to find out for you guys.
I feel it's my duty to provide all of you with the most accurate information available, and I feel this is the best way, pray for me brothers, I don't want to murder my engine. But its for the better of mustang kind.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote