MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #1
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

Default Help Me Help Me!!

OK I have finaly figured out what my tranny is doing and why it bogs the motor when it shifts..ITS NOT SHIFTING TO SECOND its going 1,3,OD thats right no 2 in there but it will shift to second in an upshift to pass..this is not the tranny that came in the carit is a used ford tranny..so any ideas???? as it stands right now with it shifting the way it is its slower than wet dog poo uphill... help me please
No Substitute For Cubic Inches!
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
"They Call It Minute Rice..Gee Are Those Actually Track Times?"
Firemen: We Find 'Em Hot And Leave 'Em Wet"
Rice Haters Club Member #23 (GM Ricer Fads)
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
CLUTCHES,FUEL PUMP RELAYS,FOUR CYLINDERS
5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #2
Superpromustang
Registered Member

sounds to me like your throttle valve cable is out of adjustment, or you have valves sticking in the valve body, when you shift from 1st to drive pull the shifter back into 1st it should hold second gear. It's also possible that your shifter linkage is out of adjustment. The shifter linkage on these cars are picky as hell, and have to be perfect for it to shift right. Also, do you have a stock valve body, or is it an aftermarket valve body?
Superpromustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:11 PM   #3
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

ok I know for a fact that the linkage is not right because when I pull all the way back to 1 its in drive and then I got 2 OD's...what and where is a throttle valve cable?? and the tranny is bone stock I posted something about the linkage and someone told me how to fix it but I am yet to figure out how to adjust it
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
Old 10-03-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Take it to a reputable shop and have it rebuilt.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:29 PM   #5
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

ok blueGT thats a good idea...whats your mailing address again so I can send you the bill because I sure cant pay for it lol and I dont think it need rebuilding just some adjusting...
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
Old 10-03-2002, 01:35 PM   #6
Jthompson
Registered Member

Dude your screwed, unfortunetly twighlightbluegt is correct. Transmissions are a whole different language, take it in. If you can't afford it, a used aod from the ads are usually cheap, and real easy to put in yourself. Then again, aod's suck d*ck unless you have a lot of $$$ to put in them, they slow your car down.
1994 POS head gasket clubbed broke down T-bird with $6000 left to pay off
Jthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Superpromustang
Registered Member

Well evidentally you've been running a different AOD or somethings wrong with it, because my car sped way up when I went from a 5 speed to an AOD. In fact, the best pass with the 5-speed 3.55's and slicks was 13.34@105, when I put the AOD in, stock converter, 3.55's, and street tires, it went 13.22@109, after I got a stallion converter it went 12.70@108, and with the gear swap from 3.55's to 4.10's it went 12.30@108, so I disagree that AOD's slow you down.............................
Old 10-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
Superpromustang
Registered Member

the throttle valve cable is located on your trottle body and runs down the transmission, my transmission mechanic told me to ensure you don't burn up the tranny, you should adjust the TV cable to it's maximum adjustment. which be all the back so that the long plastic rod is facing to the front, try that and see if that takes care of it, and let me know what happens
Old 10-03-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

My junk AOD broke at 49K original miles!!! I rompted on it pretty hard from time to time and one day the linkedge broke in my throttle body causing my AOD to start off in 3rd. I was told by my mechanic that this wore down the clutches horribly and put a lot of stress on the tranny itself. Anyways, when I got a new pin for the linkedge and put it into the throttle body, my tranny seemed to be fine, although it shifted funny sometimes and made some noises. Then one day right out of blue the car wouldn't shift right at all, and had trouble down shifting. The whole thing was messed up. I drove it like that for over 3 months until it finally just died, then when I had some $cash$ saved up, I had it completely stripped down to the bone and totally rebuilt. I also had the shop add a shift kit and tranny cooler while they were doing the work. The rebuild cost me about $1300, but it was soooooooooo worth it at the time. I had a very reputable shop do the work and man did they do a good job! The tranny is stronger than it ever was before!

Something I would recommend though is if your AOD does need to be rebuilt, I wouldn't go for it. Even though I did, I wish I hadn't. Instead, I would purchase a Lentech AOD. Lentech makes the best AOD ever. They are said to handle over 500hp and have electronic overdrive lock-out. They also come with a nice powerfull converter, and an excelent valve body.

Either way, the decision is yours..... Good luck :-)
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:28 PM   #10
zepherman
Registered Member

Get a used T-5 manual and do the conversion. I did mine myself a while back and have been happy ever since
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #11
Coupe Devil

hey this is 4vyl_Of_Fury under my bros name (it wont let me log hi out) Jthompson and zepherman....for street racing a 5 speed is more practical but since I DONT street race..I bracket race I want a AOD...and superpro I am going out now to check that throttle cable...wont be able to adjust outher cable till tonight but will try it and yet again guys your not undertsanding im BROKE I mean BROKE have to scrimp every week for gas type broke

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
Superpromustang
Registered Member

okay the best way to adjust your shifter linkage cable, is to first loosen the bolt on the transmission shift lever so that the cable moves freely. next, put the transmission in OD using the shift lever on the side of the transmission. then adjust your shifter on your console to OD as well. then tighten up the bolt on your shift lever, and see how it works, if it's still off a little bit, try moving the shift cable one way or the other until it's right, like I said it has to be perfect or it won't work, speaking from personal experience