MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Default Brake Problem Update

You've probably seen my numerous questions trying to figure out why my rear brakes didn't work. Took me a couple of weeks, but the short answer was the "front" brake master cyclinder was defective, the rear rubber brake hose was clogged, the rear brake line was clogged, and both rear wheel cylinders had gone bad. Yes, I did say "front" master cylinder. Took me a while to speculate what transpired probably 10-15 years ago, but apparently the front brake master cylinder went out, so the owner jimmy-rigged it, re-bent the master cylinder lines, and switched them so the "rear" master cylinder was feeding the front brakes. Guess they were happy with only the front brakes. Didn't realize it until I started comparing the shop manual diagrams with my master cylinder line setup. Then over the years since there was no longer any fluid going to the rear, it all gummed up and clogged the lines. Bottom line - bought new master cylinder and all new brake lines. What a nightmare getting the old ones off. Had to bend them to do so. It'll be a miracle if I can get the news back on without destroying them. Any pointers are definitely welcomed. Those things were made to be installed without the transmission, exhaust, and engine in the car. Wish me luck.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Take a look at the other thread and I am glad you found the problem with your brakes. As far as installing the new lines just bend them with easy curves no sharp ones to get around things then straighten after it is close.