MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default valve cover to TB hose??

When I rebuilt my motor several years ago, I removed my smog equipment...smog pump, charcoal canister & all associated hoses & plumbing in the back of the heads, etc. I also run an offroad h-pipe. My question is...is it ok to have that hose that goes from the breather on the the passenger side valve to the throttle body, disconnected? I used to run a breather on the pass. side valve cover but during a speed run or even worse, a nitrous run...I would blow some oil out of the breather. This was due to the fact that I had to remove the baffle on the valve cover because of my 1.72 rockers...not from excessive blow-bye. So I don't want to hook that tube back up to the TB because when I'm at WOT I'll be spitting some oil back into the upper intake. I know that's fine and dandy for a stock, smog legal car...but I don't want oil in my upper intake. That's for air. So I currently run that hose w/ an extended line on it...from the breather down to where the charcoal canister used to be. I have it ziptied to some other crap down there and just have it exiting into the atmosphere. Is this ok? I'd imagine it would be just like running a breather on the valve cover with an open air filament. Is this freaking out my computer or creating a problem of any sort? I checked my vacuum a while back and it checked out fine.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
JSFIRE79
Registered Member

Im not sure about the computer codes. but I run one of those K&N filter caps. and I capped the opening on the TB. Car runs great and I know it runs better without hot oil in the intake. I also (not pertinent to your question) have the coolant line to the TB bypassed. no sense in heating up your intake air
93GT Stock 302, 170,000 miles....GT-40Y Heads, Ported and Extrude Honed GT-40 intake, Pro-M w/Granitelli Meter , 65mm Throttle Body , Custom Crane Cam, Rockers, lifters, pushrods, Mikes Transmissions Built AOD, 3000 stall, Aluminum Driveshaft , 3.73 gears, Motorsports shorty headers, Stock axles, ZEX 125HP kit. w/Bottle warmer.

60ft. - 1.60
1/4- 11.38
MPH- 119

WWW.StarkRacing.net
JSFIRE79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default good time

Quote:
Originally posted by JSFIRE79
Im not sure about the computer codes. but I run one of those K&N filter caps. and I capped the opening on the TB. Car runs great and I know it runs better without hot oil in the intake. I also (not pertinent to your question) have the coolant line to the TB bypassed. no sense in heating up your intake air
Thanks JSFIRE79. Yeah, I have my coolant lines to the TB capped as well. Do you still have your baffle in the passenger side valve cover? When you do a 1/4 mile run does any oil come out of that breather? What about when using nitrous? I used to run a FMS breather but it didn't seal good enough...and some oil would eventually build up around the oil filler neck and top of valve cover.
Being that you removed your smog equipment as I have...does your check engine light flash ever? Or have you gotten that little bastard to turn off?
That's a pretty impressive 1/4 mile time man...right on!
Old 12-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JSFIRE79
I also (not pertinent to your question) have the coolant line to the TB bypassed. no sense in heating up your intake air
That is fine if your exhaust that the EGR valve uses happens to be colder than your 180 degree coolant.

Also, baffles or not, if you have oil coming up out of the oil fill cap it is blow by.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:36 AM   #5
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exgmguy
That is fine if your exhaust that the EGR valve uses happens to be colder than your 180 degree coolant.
Why do the aftermarket Cobra intakes come without them?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
JSFIRE79
Registered Member

Yea I still have my baffle in..... :-l I never got much if any oil up the neck though when I had the breather . either with or without nitrous.......now both sides are capped .and yes my check engine light constantly flases but I put a sticker over it And my EGR is disconnected.......
93GT Stock 302, 170,000 miles....GT-40Y Heads, Ported and Extrude Honed GT-40 intake, Pro-M w/Granitelli Meter , 65mm Throttle Body , Custom Crane Cam, Rockers, lifters, pushrods, Mikes Transmissions Built AOD, 3000 stall, Aluminum Driveshaft , 3.73 gears, Motorsports shorty headers, Stock axles, ZEX 125HP kit. w/Bottle warmer.

60ft. - 1.60
1/4- 11.38
MPH- 119

WWW.StarkRacing.net

Last edited by JSFIRE79; 12-20-2003 at 08:20 PM..
Old 12-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
exgmguy
Registered Member

Doesn't the Cobra intake still have coolant lines running to it?

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #8
Bad89stang
Registered Member

No
Old 12-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
420nitro
Registered Member

Ok guys but I was told...and this makes sense by the way.
The coolant lines that go to the egr valve does indeed warm the incoming air, but also cools the egr valve once the car has been running for a while! The exhust coming from the heads go to the egr valve (emissions thing) so you need to cool the temp at the egr. Now people normally just by- pass the egr valve thinking that they are doing a good thing but they are not. Well untill you block off the passage way from the heads. I have seen people use a steel shim between the intake and egr port on the heads. But I like the using a freeze plug that goes into the bottom off the upper intake. Now when you do this, they're will be no exhust gases going to the egr valve and hence no need run coolant to your egr valve. Now not all heads have egr port in the heads. The race heads don't come with egr port (passage or what ever you want to call it) so you would not need to block anything.

As goes for the oil going past the baffle, I agree with exgmguy, it goes past the baffles... you got blow by. But you have to expect some blow by on these engines we are running. It seems that a lot of people are starting to worry about little things. Stop worrying about the SMALL STUFF...&...RUN IT!!!!
Hope this makes sense, sorry for any confusion.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #10
JSFIRE79
Registered Member

Yea I totally removed all that emissions crap and plugged the holes in the heads and freeze plugged everything. but cant find anything to actually plate off the EGR . I guess I could just take the EGR off the throttle body , but my Pro-M pipe would not fit right. So I need to find a different air pipe that would fit. Any suggestions anyone?

60ft. - 1.60
1/4- 11.38
MPH- 119

WWW.StarkRacing.net
Old 12-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #11
420nitro
Registered Member

Don't they made a blank egr spacer? I would think your big mail order speed shops would carry such a thing.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:12 AM   #12
Bad89stang
Registered Member

you can get them from most any aftermarket company. Ebay would be my choice.