MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2000, 01:57 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Question Charge Light

Just a quick one here. It seems whenever I rev the engine (during driving) around 5500 rpm's or so, the battery charge light on the dash will blink. Could this just be a loose connection somewhere that is vibrating at high rev or is this a Ford deal that lets you know you are getting close to redline? I know it seems stupid but I thought I'd ask anyway. I glanced around and didn't see any obvious loose connections.

Thanks as usual,

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2000, 06:40 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

I'm not a mechanic Stephan, so I could be wrong, but I would think that your alternator output would be a good place to look. At high revs, you could be looking problems concerning the output to the battery being something that the computer doesn't expect (i.e. the charge being too high or too low) That particular problem could range anywhere from a small open or short in the circuit to a problem with the alternator brought on by high revs or vibration... or maybe even the belt (does it seem to slip at all?)

Just some guesses...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2000, 09:08 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Hey Hammer,
Thanks for the reply. The belt doesn't seem to be slipping at all. It is in good shape and the tension is good. I'll try and take a closer look at all the leads to look for any crimps or cuts. The only reason I thought the light might be a "warning" is because it seemed to be a steady flash not a flicker. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote